seat memory and engine fan noise questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
Our 07 Limited has a tough time keeping seat and mirror settings in memory. They work fine for a week or so, then next unlock the seat or mirrors move to waaay off positions. A reprogram works for a week or so, and then...
The pedals never seem to change, if it matters. This has been an issue since ownership (years now).

2nd more pressing issue is the oft-cited "jet on takeoff" sound from the engine cooling fan. (Locks up inappropriately, should be free-spinning at such times) It's intermittent but frequent enough to need attention. Spun by hand with engine off, fan turns easily when engine is cold and gets stiffer when engine is warm, as it should.

My question is; since the fan clutch has some degree of electrical control, where do I lay the blame? (fan clutch vs. ECM for example) No related codes noted on OBDII scanner.

Last edited:

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 07 Limited has a tough time keeping seat and mirror settings in memory. They work fine for a week or so, then next unlock the seat or mirrors move to waaay off positions. A reprogram works for a week or so, and then...
The pedals never seem to change, if it matters. This has been an issue since ownership (years now).

I have an issue with the memory in my '11 as well, though the issue is different than yours. My memory just clears itself seemingly at random. The dealership was - of course - unable to replicate the issue (likely because the truck was under warranty). I'm just going to live with it at this point.

Expywhite10

Reaction score

Do you know if your remote transmitter(s) are configured to change the memory position of the seats and mirror settings? I have my key set to my settings, and my wife's key is set to her settings on the few occasions that she drives the Expedition.

According to the 2010 Ford Expedition Manual 3rd Printing:

Memory feature (seat, mirrors and adjustable pedals)
The integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT) allows you to recall the
memory seat/power mirrors/adjustable pedals feature.
Press to automatically move the driver seat, power mirrors and
adjustable pedals to the desired memory position. The mirrors will move
to the programmed position and the seat will move to the easy entry
position. The seat will move to the final position when the key is in the
ignition (if easy entry feature is enabled).
Programming memory feature to the transmitter
To activate this feature:
1. Move the driver seat, power mirrors, and adjustable pedals to the
desired positions using the associated controls.
2. Press and hold button 1 for five
seconds. A tone will be heard after
two seconds confirming memory
position has been set. Continue to
hold until a second tone is heard
after five seconds.
3. Within three seconds press the .
4. A tone will be heard when the transmitter programming is complete.
5. Press the .
6. Repeat this procedure for memory 2 and another transmitter if
desired.
Locks and Security

Deprogramming memory feature from the transmitter
To deactivate this feature:
1. Press and hold either the 1 or 2 button on the driver’s door for five
seconds. A tone will be heard after 11⁄2 seconds when the memory store
is done, continue to hold until a second tone is heard after five seconds.
2. Within three seconds press the .
3. A tone will be heard when the deactivation is complete.
4. Repeat this procedure for another transmitter if desired.

OP
OP
W

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
^^^Yes, I usually use the remote to lock/unlock. The seat and mirrors maintain their programmed position for a period of time, then randomly start moving to oddball positions on unlock. I can also press the button on the side of the driver's seat or enter the corresponding code on the door exterior to move from programmed position 1 to 2 or vice-versa.
The positions are programmed, my question is a solution to the frequent loss of memory requiring repeated reprogramming.