Shock Absorbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a rear shock absorber that has failed after 9,000 miles in my 2018 Expedition. Should shock absorbers be replaced in pairs? Having problem with the dealer agreeing to this but this has always been recommended in the past. Anyone have info on the concept of replacing in pairs?

What trim level Expy do you have? Does it have CCD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent Harward

Reaction score
SHOCKS! ALWAYS INSTALL IN PAIRS. And don't feel bad that the factory shocks/struts have failed. They're JUNK from the factory. Monroe's will work fine on the front but I would strongly suggest Koni's or their equal in the real. Why you ask? Because the coils like to give you a bouncy ride. You need a shock for BOTH up and down motion. Trust me, you will not be sorry for the extra $$$ for Koni's or Bilstein's. Check that they have UP and DOWN dampening.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SHOCKS! ALWAYS INSTALL IN PAIRS. And don't feel bad that the factory shocks/struts have failed. They're JUNK from the factory. Monroe's will work fine on the front but I would strongly suggest Koni's or their equal in the real. Why you ask? Because the coils like to give you a bouncy ride. You need a shock for BOTH up and down motion. Trust me, you will not be sorry for the extra $$$ for Koni's or Bilstein's. Check that they have UP and DOWN dampening.

As an Auto Supplier, have to take exception that they are junk from the factory. OE shock, tires etc have to meet much higher quality, durability specifications that aftermarket parts. Have never heard of a shock not having "up and down" damping or "jounce and rebound" For example, OE tires have to meet roundness and balance specifications that Tire store never receive. I compete the supplier of the standard and CDC shocks on the Expedition and respect them and their product. Like any thing mechanical there will be failures. At 9k miles I would not worry about replacing one only

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As an Auto Supplier, have to take exception that they are junk from the factory. OE shock, tires etc have to meet much higher quality, durability specifications that aftermarket parts. Have never heard of a shock not having "up and down" damping or "jounce and rebound" For example, OE tires have to meet roundness and balance specifications that Tire store never receive. I compete the supplier of the standard and CDC shocks on the Expedition and respect them and their product. Like any thing mechanical there will be failures. At 9k miles I would not worry about replacing one only

With the caveat that if you replace one only, it has to be the exact same part as the original...