Short oil life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You never tried my method but you know all about it. I am guessing you aren't able to detect 1% metal to metal and you are one of those novices that freaks out about every little thing because it might be catastrophic..........lol

You are to funny, I asked for non-fiction but I'm guessing you don't know that is not even 1% true

I would bet that everyone on here has tried "your method" at least once with two big differences.
1 It wasn't on purpose
2 They did everything to make damn sure it never happened again.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are to funny, I asked for non-fiction but I'm guessing you don't know that is not even 1% true

I would bet that everyone on here has tried "your method" at least once with two big differences.
1 It wasn't on purpose
2 They did everything to make damn sure it never happened again.
What? did you read my post?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Back when I was a poor kid, I ran brakes until the remnants of the linings fell off them and rattled around in the drums. The rivets scored the drums and they were toast, but I just threw in a set of new shoes. Sometimes the faces of the shoes were even worn away. But the cars still stopped.

Then came disk brakes. And, yep, I wore a few of those down to the metal and they stopped too. But by then I learned how to read, and I read that having some lining left was necessary for proper heat dissipation. I learned that if pads were worn too thin they would transfer too much heat to the caliper, the piston and the fluid. That's why my Chrysler pistons always seized. That made sense, so, being in better financial shape by that them, I began following the manufacturers' instructions.

And I'm still around to tell about it.

One day I'll tell you my experiences with recapped tires.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back when I was a poor kid, I ran brakes until the remnants of the linings fell off them and rattled around in the drums. The rivets scored the drums and they were toast, but I just threw in a set of new shoes. Sometimes the faces of the shoes were even worn away. But the cars still stopped.

Then came disk brakes. And, yep, I wore a few of those down to the metal and they stopped too. But by then I learned how to read, and I read that having some lining left was necessary for proper heat dissipation. I learned that if pads were worn too thin they would transfer too much heat to the caliper, the piston and the fluid. That's why my Chrysler pistons always seized. That made sense, so, being in better financial shape by that them, I began following the manufacturers' instructions.

And I'm still around to tell about it.

One day I'll tell you my experiences with recapped tires.
I had my share of recaps with violent blowouts, ruined fenders, etc and you can't pay me to run them now. As for the brakes: I don't tow or speed around the mountains and never had a problem with heat from thin pads. Actually the squealers let them get pretty thin. This "wait 'til I hear a sign of metal to metal" method (as I said) works quite well and always has.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Had a recap blow the right front fender clear off a Grand Fury at 80 MPH, right before getting pulled over and ticketed for ... missing fender.

Now I consider recaps in the same class as refurbished mattresses.

I've made the big time.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a recap blow the right front fender clear off a Grand Fury at 80 MPH, right before getting pulled over and ticketed for ... missing fender.

Now I consider recaps in the same class as refurbished mattresses.

I've made the big time.
I bought 4 tires from Treadright and one blew with 70 PSI in it and the 8k pound Excursion turned into a bucking bronco plus it ruined my fender and bumper. The other 3 tires had bulges eventually so they would have blown out too. Treadright said it was a casing problem but would give me a discount on another tire............never again.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a function of miles driven and days elapsed. Did you change the oil more than six months ago?

It's a function of miles driven and days elapsed. Did you change the oil more than six months ago?
Well my last oil change proves the days elapsed wrong. Went 4,547 miles before needing the oil changed, per the dash display. Which is my best so far with this truck. It has been on a few trips lately, but like I said before mainly just short trips with a lot of idle time. Anyway last oil change was 9/2/21 at 65,151 miles. The one before that was 9/10/20 at 60,604. So almost a full year!

I did my 1st oil change on this truck at 50,182 miles. Since then I've been taking it to the dealer. For a couple reason's, 1st to make sure there was no issue with the truck and the short oil life. 2nd reason was it was only a little over $50 and they rotate the tires! Which I gladly pay the $20 difference in doing it my self to have the tires rotated. Well the other day the dealership must of takin a hardship since my last visit. They charged me around $30 more for this recent oil change! Like $17 more on labor and $13 for parts. That will be the last oil change they see me for. As for rotating tires, in July I purchased a new set, that included road side service & life time rotating a balance.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Not sure how sophisticated the Ford "intelligent oil life monitor" is other than time and miles. Some similar systems monitor engine use, rpms, and cold starts.

My truck is near duplicate to Mquick5's including "Absolute Black." The only oil use/change notification I've yet received occurs as I near the 12 month interval. Maybe 25,000 miles in the last 4+ years. Car came with remote start. Dash displays engine hours in total and idling hours.

Curiosity prompted an engine oil analysis and the oil is good for much longer. Using full synthetic I'm convinced the "or X months" is useless within reason, only the mileage counts and full synthetics can usually go much further than the specified mileage. BTW Ford highly advertised their 6,000 mile/6 month oil change circa 1961 sixty (60) years ago!

-- Chuck

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless the oil viscosity is tested it is just a calculation. Best to just do proper maintenance and change on schedule. And speaking of proper maintenance, by time you hear metal to metal contact on a set of brakes it is too late and you have obviously not been keeping up with your maintenance by doing simple checks on your brakes. Takes 10 seconds and a flashlight to look at disc brakes. You can do it while you are checking your tire pressure.