Another blown expy coming soon!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have had a lightning upper supercharger assembly since 2005?? I believe. I have put off installing it as I have been busy with my own electrical contracting business I started back around the same time and most of my spare time was spent playing with my mustang. :)

Recently business was slow so I decided to start playing with the expy. I then joined this forum and of course this inspired me to do even more. Then reading Blown Expys and kentv6 's post gave me the motivation I needed to go thru with my supercharger install. I would have bolted it on sooner.... but I was determined to rebuild the block to handle the power reliably as I tow with it and take it on family vacations to the outer banks... about 8 hours from MD.

So I can blame everyone here for my temporary loss of sanity... :flamingdevil:and the following is the "list" of items I have already purchased.... just waiting for delivery.

Complete new "take off" lightning upper supercharger assembly with 10 pound crank pulley. (+2#) All the additional supporting hardware necessary for install.

Built long block with manley rods and low compression forged pistons, forged crank, TFS heads with comp cams stage 1 cam, internally balanced and rated to handle 900+ hp.

Fluidyne heat exchanger.
BBK 1 5/8" ceramic coated shorty headers.
SCT flash programmer.
Killer Chiller system

Hopefully with all the above hardware it should make a conservative 450hp reliably. Things not purchased yet but considered necessary is a torque converter and having the tranny built. The tranny is a 4R100 so it is pretty beefy but the torque of the blower motor will be testing its limits. Very concerned about this and the torque converter is an unknown as far as power capacity. The tranny may wait as I can always do this later. Oh and as funds allow would like to have custom exhaust built.

When and if I recover from all that.... I would like to install a Whipple and see how quick an expy can go. :pepper: Next years project maybe...

kentv6

Reaction score
It's fun I hope to Dyno mine soon just breaking in engine for now. If you need idea's let me know. I'am also running 3 electric fans.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It's fun I hope to Dyno mine soon just breaking in engine for now. If you need idea's let me know. I'am also running 3 electric fans.
@kentv6

I welcome any ideas or suggestions! Can't have too much info:).

Questions:

Were you able to drop the complete longblock assembly through the hood? Looks like a tight fit and half the motor sits under the cowl. I assume if I remove the radiator and all the front accessories it will then will have to move it back after it is lowered. Not even sure the engine lift can lift it high enough to clear the expy.

I plan to keep my mechanical fan.... it can move a lot of air plus no additional draw on the alt. Heat soak was an issue with my mustang when in heavy traffic and it has a much more efficient blower. I am hoping the killer chiller will help with this during the summer months sitting in traffic with the expy.

Good luck with your dyno tune! Any idea of how much boost yet?

kentv6

Reaction score
Leave intake off and the lighning pulley and bracket it will fit r/r rad. I installed with shorty headers on you will have to tilt engine under steering shaft.

kentv6

Reaction score
My boost should be alround 14 to 16psi. I also have a boosted mustang MPX m90 blower 19psi on street.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sweet! Hopefully I will be able to join soon, I'm thinking of a rebuild next summer, and the FI would be nice going through the mountains

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I dont know how you could squeeze the V10 under the hood. Any V10's in the f150's or just the super dutys?