Significant Repair - Only 28,000 miles - Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Been noticing a slight growl in the rear end of our 2017 Expedition EL going around corners … so I took it in to the local Ford dealer since it’s still under the factory powertrain warranty (currently only has 28,*** miles on it).

They said the rear axle limited slip clutch plate needs replaced already … which thankfully … is still covered under the factory powertrain warranty.

But like I told the Service Manager (who happened to be standing there) … a significant repair like this does not build much confidence in keeping or purchasing another Expedition if we will be repairing rear axle limited slip clutches every 30k miles.

Am I the only person who has experienced this repair at such low mileage ?

Kind of blows my mind because I had a 2001 Chevy 1500 regular cab short box 4wd pickup with a 5.3L V8 & limited slip differential where I routinely left two tire tracks every time I left the car wash half way down the street before the tires locked up and quit spinning … and at 150k miles never had one problem with that limited slip rear end … or maybe that truck had a locking differential … too many years & beers later to remember those details … but the point is … the mileage on our Expedition is way too low to have this kind of significant powertrain repair.

Last edited:

Hvunderground845

Reaction score
I bought my 17' el limited with 120k miles, right when I bought it I brought to a shop for what I thought would be a bearing and it ended up being a rear end replacement. On mine they said water had gotten into the rear end

Snidley53

Reaction score
I had to replace the clutch disks in the rear end of my 2016. I bought it with 62,000 miles and did the replacement at 82,000 when I noticed the same growl as you heard. I bought it as a CPO so my work was also covered under the extended powertrain warranty.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you got one thing right. Do not purchase an Expedition again. I will never be purchasing any Ford ever again and I've had Fords since 1979 with my '71 Pinto ( 3-1989 Econolines at one time). The 5.4 3v engine in mine soured me that Ford would ever put out something like this, knowing full well it's a *************. That's saying it nicely.

I'll probably drive mine to its grave. After a new top end, hopefully the tranny won't give out before I get another 200k on it.

Great BBQ

Reaction score
I have a 2016 el xlt 4x4 with 115000 miles and have the same problem, I changed the rear fluid and added 4oz of friction modifier both motorcraft products and that seemed to be the fix, I was happy it was like new again now the noise and vibration feeling is starting to come back about 1000 miles after that fluid change. If I take it for new clutch plates at a ford dealer or a rear end shop how much will that cost? Thanks for the help.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 el xlt 4x4 with 115000 miles and have the same problem, I changed the rear fluid and added 4oz of friction modifier both motorcraft products and that seemed to be the fix, I was happy it was like new again now the noise and vibration feeling is starting to come back about 1000 miles after that fluid change. If I take it for new clutch plates at a ford dealer or a rear end shop how much will that cost? Thanks for the help.
Was around $1200 for mine.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine began making noise at 35-38K.

I was told "you need to replace carbon clutch plates in the rear end".

What I did was to replace the read fluid with Mercury outdrive fluid along with 4oz of the Ford modifier because I'm not stupid. (Marine grade lubricants are typically far superior to non-marine, this includes Stabil, always use the blue marine grade)

Today, my truck has 131,000 miles....and still, the only thing that has broken, has been the console hinge spring.

Not bad, not too bad at all!

jeff

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine began making noise at 35-38K.

I was told "you need to replace carbon clutch plates in the rear end".

What I did was to replace the read fluid with Mercury outdrive fluid along with 4oz of the Ford modifier because I'm not stupid. (Marine grade lubricants are typically far superior to non-marine, this includes Stabil, always use the blue marine grade)

Today, my truck has 131,000 miles....and still, the only thing that has broken, has been the console hinge spring.

Not bad, not too bad at all!

jeff

Ballsy and ingenious. I like it.