Significant Rust on 07'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdyismydog

Reaction score
My 07 Expedition must not have survived the winter salt or factory paint was poor quality. I have a lot of rust and peeling of paint. Just above the running boards where smooths under the truck. My other rust spot is back quarter panel above bumper cover and wheel trim. Bubbles on the hood and trunk area.

Is all of what I described normal rust or is this fine quality of Fords 55k 8 year old SUV?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07 Expedition must not have survived the winter salt or factory paint was poor quality. I have a lot of rust and peeling of paint. Just above the running boards where smooths under the truck. My other rust spot is back quarter panel above bumper cover and wheel trim. Bubbles on the hood and trunk area.

Is all of what I described normal rust or is this fine quality of Fords 55k 8 year old SUV?

When were the 2007s 55,000 dollars? You don't even pay that much for a Platinum in 2015. :think:

OP
OP
B

birdyismydog

Reaction score
I paid $49,665 plus tax, title, and extended warranty. The warranty did not cover broken plugs at 50k miles and the air suspension problem.

So yes, I'm well over 55k invested in the truck. Not impressed with Ford quality or customer service.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the hood and tailgate I'll give it to you that ford dropped the ball. They used the wrong paint for aluminum parts and almost everyone has bubbling or chipping. The rest of the body however is a care issue IMHO. The past 2 winters we have gotten freak snow and even despite that Maryland has a tendency to salt the roads on a typical winter weather event 35 to 45 and rainy(use it or lose it mentality). Add in the fact that we are close to the largest estuary in the USA and you can see we get alot of salt both unnatural and natural. My truck has zero rust on it and is a 2008 built in 2007.

My truck has been in the DMV since day 1 so i guess you can make the case of mild winters (typically we see 0 to 6in with most winters under 10 for the year) but again Maryland is run by northeast transplants and a use it or lose it mentality so they salt the roads for nothing most of the time.

I know this isn't what you expected to hear but I just had to clear the air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

birdyismydog

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I stopped by the body shop. Guy said his Expedition also had rusted rocker panels and yes the aluminum hood and trunk does bubble. His advice was not to put money into it and address it with some spray stuff from NAPA. There is nothing he can do to stop the rust but I can do things to slow it down. Much like myself, he was shocked at how bad the rocker panels are for a 2007. Also, he said extra trips thru car was would not have prevented the rust.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From everything I have read, this seems par for course for the Expeditions and several other Ford vehicles. In order to repair it properly, you would need to strip it completely, remove the oxidation, and repaint it. There is an interesting post on it here, but there have also been reports on the evening news and so forth. If you go to court, it sounds like the odds are in your favor as many judgements have been rendered against Ford for this exact problem.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
My 07 4x4 EB EL stickered for about $55k...

I have 238,107 on mine and only have some bubbling on the gate. Nothing anyplace else and I'm in the snow belt of Western NY. I't probably the protective layer of dirt, I haven't washed it in 2 years.

chuckeroo_99

Reaction score
Need 3rd Generation EL Rocker Panels

My rockers are rusty also. I was going to have them replaced but the body shop could only find the front rockers and the rear half would have to be done with the whole quarter panel. It was going to be 300 for the rocker and 1800 for the quarter panel (OEM) just for parts. Does any one know where to get them other than the dealer? Or where to get custom parts made?

Buttz

Reaction score
I sanded my rockers just above the running boards down and sprayed a black chip guard over them since my truck is black. those had some rust when I bought it a couple years back. I also spray the inside of the wheel wells and rockers with fluid film once a year. its great stuff, really help in prevention of rust.