Slight Rattle in front end...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Hey Todd...

I did find some shocks that Monroe sells as a "can also be used" replacement. Both upper and lower bushings are of a heavier neoprene (maybe poly but not sure yet) with steel inserts/sleeves. I am going to put my hands on them today just to be sure of what they are.

I'll let everyone know what I find.

Cheers,

-Jay

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gentlemen, if you replace bolts with others that are not stock, or come with the shock kit (most don't), please remember that all suspension related hardware is GRADED (a strength designation). A minimum of grade 5 hardware, and preferably grade 8 should be used for shocks.

G

absolutely....

If possible, a local supplier will most likely have L9's (grade 11) available. Besides the fact they are anodized yellow/gold (looks cool) they are darn near unbreakable/unbendable. I started using them when available years ago and was told that they were designed for aircraft use.

Along those lines...

Does anyone have upper and lower rear shock bolt dimensions for a '99 expy 2wd 4.6 so I don't have to remove them to get the right ones??

Cheers,

-Jay

G

Hi all....

A replacement rear shock (gas charged) for my 99 expy 2wd that has urethane (sp?) bushings w/ steel insert sleeves is a Monroe 34671 or a Gabriel g63455. The normally chosen OEM replacement does NOT have steel inserts in the lower bushing and is prone to rattle. I also found out that the rear shock bolt size (upper and lower) is M12x1.75x73 as per FMC.

Cheers,

-Jay

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced shocks on my Exby twice, and many more times on other trucks that I have owned. I have always seen that they have the steel insert. Now here is the rub....they usually come in a small packet kit with the shock, for YOU to install. I would say that 25% of the shocks I have bought, did not have the kit, so I always make sure that they are included.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rallybug