Slingplayer in RSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElliottTX

Reaction score
I’ve tried to contact sling box and Dish to figure this out with no luck... My dish hopper has sling built into it, how do I get it to work in the car? I’ve tried setting up account and logging in on car... do I have to by a sling box separate? I’m using my fire stick right now with Dish Anywhere and it works great, but I’d rather not have usb continually plugged and unplugged if possible... thanks for the help!!

musiccitybugs

Reaction score
I don't believe Dish Anywhere is a supported slingbox for slingplayer. I have a sling M2 and slingplayer does work with that model in the Nav RSE. I had your setup with a hopper 3 and had to go with a M2 + dish wally before it would connect.
Dish Anywhere uses sling technology, but it's not a slingbox.

OP
OP
E

ElliottTX

Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you for your help!! I didn’t want to waste money buying slingbox and it be unnecessary... thanks again!!

musiccitybugs

Reaction score
with a dish wally, you'll need an hdmi to component split out cable. If you have a vip211k, that is perfect for slingbox as it has buillt-in component connections.

Flexpy19

Reaction score
So if I buy a slingbox (like an M2?) I just hook it up to my cable box, and then I set up the RSE to connect to the slingbox? And does watching TV via the slingbox setup in the RSE system use a lot of data from the hotspot? Trying to make sure I don't set this up for a three hour road trip and get a gigantic AT&T data bill! As you can tell I'm not very technologically advanced either!

OP
OP
E

ElliottTX

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend getting the $25 unlimited data, we went through our 3GB trial within a few hours using a fire stick... that’s the price if you just pay month to month, we had a 14 hour road trip with 2 little ones so I went ahead and did that... you can just buy it when you need it. There might be more opinions and experience out there, ours is a couple days old

Flexpy19

Reaction score
If I went with the Firestick option, do I just plug the firestick into the RSE USB port and it starts working, or do I need a base unit at my house like Slingbox. I literally have no idea how this works but would love to have an endless stream of movies and shows available for the kiddos on road trips!

OP
OP
E

ElliottTX

Reaction score
No, just plug fire stick and usb in on drivers side headrest and select hdmi and it will play!