Sync 4A WiFi issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
Guys… the file is to big for OTA, you either download it to a usb or have the dealer do it. There is also a map update that’s to big for OTA.

Once your current the OTA works again, provided you have WiFi on, connect to a strong access point, have the update time set to when the vehicle can use the WiFi…

Stop whining and if ur still under warranty get the dealer on it, if your not you need to do it for your self. Instructions are all over the forum.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys… the file is to big for OTA, you either download it to a usb or have the dealer do it. There is also a map update that’s to big for OTA.

Once your current the OTA works again, provided you have WiFi on, connect to a strong access point, have the update time set to when the vehicle can use the WiFi…

Stop whining and if ur still under warranty get the dealer on it, if your not you need to do it for your self. Instructions are all over the forum.
That would make sense except that other people are getting it over the air. And I’ll whine all I want about something that Ford says is supposed to happen but is not, especially when it is working for some folks but not others.

And Ive already explained why i have not taken it to the dealer yet. Im 50 miles from my dealer and it involves my wife taking time of work twice to take it and leave it at the dealer, and we become a one vehicle family waiting for it. And my dealer has told me there is a chance he wont be able to download it.

And to clarify, there is an actual Ford site that tells what version is current and myself and others don't have it.

Last edited:

Flathead40

Reaction score

The update is not too big for OTA (not sure where that information came from). Many other Expeditions with Sync4A have received the same update via OTA (also Lightnings and Mach-Es). The only way to do the USB update is by getting an FDRS license (same way the dealership would do it) and there is no guarantee that the update is available for your VIN there. You can't just download it from Ford's website like the old SYNC 3 system as they went to completely OTA for the consumer side of things. Also WiFi is not required for OTA, the vehicle uses cellular network to download, but being on WiFi can speed up the download process (provided if your WiFi actually stays connected/connects automatically).

We just took ours to the dealership for service and had them investigate this issue while they had it. They said there are some odd things going on. They did some module updates to see if that would fix anything but it did not. They also said that they could see in the system that it was out of date, however when they tried to update it said no update available. And that it was failing to communicate with the "mothership" and was throwing an error. They opened a case with Ford on it and said they will need to send them a special update to resolve and that they would let us know and bring the vehicle back in. So dealership has acknowledged that there is an issue that requires Ford to help resolve. Seems like this probably affects a number of these Expedition especially those built in the second half of 2023 and maybe Ford will come up with an OTA solution or a CSP.

There are a number of software related issues without resolution on these 2023s that is not acceptable for a vehicle that costs this much.

Last edited:

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The update is not too big for OTA (not sure where that information came from). Many other Expeditions with Sync4A have received the same update via OTA (also Lightnings and Mach-Es). The only way to do the USB update is by getting an FDRS license (same way the dealership would do it) and there is no guarantee that the update is available for your VIN there. You can't just download it from Ford's website like the old SYNC 3 system as they went to completely OTA for the consumer side of things. Also WiFi is not required for OTA, the vehicle uses cellular network to download, but being on WiFi can speed up the download process (provided if your WiFi actually stays connected/connects automatically).

We just took ours to the dealership for service and had them investigate this issue while they had it. They said there are some odd things going on. They did some module updates to see if that would fix anything but it did not. They also said that they could see in the system that it was out of date, however when they tried to update it said no update available. And that it was failing to communicate with the "mothership" and was throwing an error. They opened a case with Ford on it and said they will need to send them a special update to resolve and that they would let us know and bring the vehicle back in. So dealership has acknowledged that there is an issue that requires Ford to help resolve. Seems like this probably affects a number of these Expedition especially those built in the second half of 2023 and maybe Ford will come up with an OTA solution or a CSP.

There are a number of software related issues without resolution on these 2023s that is not acceptable for a vehicle that costs this much.
Thanks for that info. Please keep us advised as i hope to get ours to the dealer in the next month or so.

Last edited:

LegalBrief

Reaction score
There are multiple versions of 4a out there, depending where you are it won’t update without the usb - it’s to big, if ur only going up one version, maybe OTA will work, but for what ever reason when it needs the full update it won’t OTA, neither will the map

maad1618

Reaction score
Hey fellow Expedition..ers,

Wanted to ask all those with the 15inch Sync 4A or anyone who may have some advice on this really a concern I have on WiFi.

So I have a 23 Timberline, has the Sync 4A with the 15inch screen and I’ve noticed that the WiFi, #1 doesn’t seem to like to auto connect to the WiFi when near..at least sometimes it does but most often it doesn’t but 2 and perhaps more concerning.. it only stays connected for like.. maybe 3-4 minutes? Then I get the WiFi available icon and the “connected to WiFi” icon is gone.. if I wait a long time it sometimes reconnects but I usually get frustrated by that point and try reconnecting.

When I connect it manually the first time it connects fine. Says it was successful, but I have a firewall on my network that is Layer 3 so it’s handling the routing and it shows ZERO activity from the truck when it connects. Like as if it’s not doing anything, not going to any sites or calling out to anything..

I’ve master reset sync, I’ve unplugged the truck from battery and let it sit for about 4 hours, for more than just the WiFi, I also haven’t gotten an update since purchase back in Sept..

And I’ve even used my phone hotspot that while in the truck with SYNC telling me the signal is “Excellent”

I’ve also changed my entire networks addressing because I found one guy say after he changed his to be ***.***.1.*** his WiFi worked..

The truck is brand new sooo I’m hesitant to think it’s faulty but.. maybe it is??

Idk… any thoughts or advice from cyber world?
I read this thread about and week ago and I have the exact same everything going on with yours. 23 Platinum. Same software version, wifi issue, updates, all of it.

It's not an issue with your home wifi, working in IT along with I have a 21 F150 lariat with sync4 so I know how it typically behaves on my network.

I dropped it off Tuesday morning, don't have it back but can report back to others. I believe it to be at a reputable dealer so we shall see!

OP
OP
E

ExpyEverest

Reaction score
I read this thread about and week ago and I have the exact same everything going on with yours. 23 Platinum. Same software version, wifi issue, updates, all of it.

It's not an issue with your home wifi, working in IT along with I have a 21 F150 lariat with sync4 so I know how it typically behaves on my network.

I dropped it off Tuesday morning, don't have it back but can report back to others. I believe it to be at a reputable dealer so we shall see!
yes please!! please let me/us know what they tell you. my dealer hasnt been much help.. i even showed them a screenshot of fdrs showing some audio and door updates for mine and they still told me to not worry about it and that it all gets installed OTA......... :/ im curious what yours says, especially about wifi!

maad1618

Reaction score
yes please!! please let me/us know what they tell you. my dealer hasnt been much help.. i even showed them a screenshot of fdrs showing some audio and door updates for mine and they still told me to not worry about it and that it all gets installed OTA......... :/ im curious what yours says, especially about wifi!
Yeah the wifi is strange, it seems the modem in the expedition goes lights out shortly after connecting. Also the expedition had connected using 3 different mac addresses by the time I beat it up with multiple ssid and network configs..could indicate a software issue preventing update communications onboard. My f150 and now my loaner f150 have only used the 1 mac address to connect and do automatically. There's always at least a 20-50MB data exchange, connection time varies from 5 minutes to hours.

OP
OP
E

ExpyEverest

Reaction score
Yeah the wifi is strange, it seems the modem in the expedition goes lights out shortly after connecting. Also the expedition had connected using 3 different mac addresses by the time I beat it up with multiple ssid and network configs..could indicate a software issue preventing update communications onboard. My f150 and now my loaner f150 have only used the 1 mac address to connect and do automatically. There's always at least a 20-50MB data exchange, connection time varies from 5 minutes to hours.
Yeah so I’ve noticed it connect to my network under two names both have different MAC addresses as well. Mdm9650-TCU which appears to be the TCU module and “SYNC” which I’m guessing is the APIM?

Now SYNC did exchange some data the like one time it connected, but like a couple KBs which is nothing. Definitely not any downloads. Basically just saying hi. lol.

So that is weird that it’s different for the f150s. Course they don’t have the sync 4a I don’t believe so idk hardware wise what the difference is there.

And I’ve tried 3 completely different networks with completely different configs. So I think I can rule that out as well.. it like will connect automatically like every few weeks and then stop doing so.. it’s either a bug or a feature that’s connecting it every so often?? But why can’t I see any data flow if that’s the case?

(Which being in IT, im sure you are aware vendors always tend to say it’s the latter haha.)

maad1618

Reaction score
Yeah so I’ve noticed it connect to my network under two names both have different MAC addresses as well. Mdm9650-TCU which appears to be the TCU module and “SYNC” which I’m guessing is the APIM?

Now SYNC did exchange some data the like one time it connected, but like a couple KBs which is nothing. Definitely not any downloads. Basically just saying hi. lol.

So that is weird that it’s different for the f150s. Course they don’t have the sync 4a I don’t believe so idk hardware wise what the difference is there.

And I’ve tried 3 completely different networks with completely different configs. So I think I can rule that out as well.. it like will connect automatically like every few weeks and then stop doing so.. it’s either a bug or a feature that’s connecting it every so often?? But why can’t I see any data flow if that’s the case?

(Which being in IT, im sure you are aware vendors always tend to say it’s the latter haha.)
The primary definitely was Mdm9650-TCU, the 2nd I assumed was apim, my network was identifying as a panasonic device - not sure if that's accurate but ironically I work in public safety/security and can say while you don't see panasonic much consumer level they do a lot of Squad car/in car video stuff so it very well could be panasonic at a hardware level.

It could just be the difference between 4 and 4a, overall my guess is it connects and runs through an initial hardware check post connection, fails without notification, repeat.

Hoping I'll hear from the dealer today, wife's driving my lariat and I'm roughing it in the STX extended cab haha.