Slipping rear end (NOT THE WRONG FORUM)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so the title might be a little bit of click bait. I like my Expedition, but the cargo area is just too slippery. Groceries go everywhere even with sedate city driving. Big grocery run I folded down both rows which was a mistake.

What do people on here use for cargo area management? Keep things from sliding around on the stock carpet.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dorzak,

This probably isn’t helpful but I was tired of this too so I pulled the rear floor panel cover, removed the spare tire tools and shoved them in the side plastic area beneath the plastic tray and now have that “shallow well” area to put groceries and stuff. They stay there now and I’m thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Dorzak

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dorzak,

This probably isn’t helpful but I was tired of this too so I pulled the rear floor panel cover, removed the spare tire tools and shoved them in the side plastic area beneath the plastic tray and now have that “shallow well” area to put groceries and stuff. They stay there now and I’m thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have an EL so have a second well under the shelf that folds up. First aid kit and a few emergency tools are now stored under there. Realized I lost a can of chili somewhere yet to find.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4 - purchased new.

This is one of the design flaws of the Expedtion - it has a flat rear load floor, but it slopes to the rear. Virtually anything you put in the rear slides against the rear hatch door, and sometimes falls out when the hatch is opened.

I hate this feature of the Expedtion. Ford was TOO CHEAP to add an elastic cargo net at the rear, or design something simple to avoid this.

I did not realize how irritating this feature is until I bought and used the vehicle.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always try to block from fore to aft meaning bags against rear seat, then heavy/bulky stuff (milk/canned goods/paper towels etc.) by the rear door. you could also try a cargo net with bungee cords perhaps.

OP
OP
Dorzak

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always try to block from fore to aft meaning bags against rear seat, then heavy/bulky stuff (milk/canned goods/paper towels etc.) by the rear door. you could also try a cargo net with bungee cords perhaps.

I realized there was a problem when a gallon jar of pickles rolled out when I opened the tailgate. Shattered in the driveway.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realized there was a problem when a gallon jar of pickles rolled out when I opened the tailgate. Shattered in the driveway.

You would think that when the Ford engineers and employees test drove the Expedition, they would have realized this design flaw immediately. Hooks mounted in the rear with an expandable cargo net would go a long way to prevent items from falling out.