Slipping transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul S

Reaction score
2000 Expedition, 4.6 Liter , 2 wheel drive. New fluid at 60,000 miles.

The transmission is acting funny. 1st and 2nd gear are fine, the shift from 2nd to 3rd takes a long time and the transmission slips into gear. The shift into 4th and overdrive are fine.

Does anyone have a clue what is causing the problem. It just started happening. The fluid was replaced at 60,000 miles.

Am I looking at a rebuild or merely a fix?

Thank you for any assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
do you mean it revs high before it shifts? when is the last time you changed the gas filter

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
The gas filter has never been replaced. The truck will almost redline before it shifts. It is very weird. all of the other shifts are fine and on time.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i worked on police cars and a dirty gas filter did the samething your discribing change it and see what happens

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
I will change the fuel filter this weekend. The problem has been getting a little better. It is just weird the way it came on all of a sudden.

Thanks for the help. I will keep you informed.

OP
OP
P

Paul S

Reaction score
Just4fun......I replaced the fuel filter on Saturday. The problem is seems to be going away. The revs are not as high and the shift seems to come sooner. $16.00 and 15 minutes sure beats any transmission work.

I really appreciate your help....Thank You

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Great glad i could help .now what you could do is disconnect the neg batt cable and let the truck relearn it self