Slipping Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my 2020 SE Max in for leaking rear driver side drive axle, screen freezing up all the time and intermittent transmission slip, 6 times in last 6 months. Dealer was trying to balk on transmission service but I documented the mileage and times it slipped, showed them the service bulletin, and explained to them this could be potentially dangerous to my family especially on the highway. They called me back in two days and said they would do the repair. Everyone that is having this problem don't put it off. It slipped twice in the first year I had it and the dealership replaced a rear TCM. That did not fix it. It started slipping more this year. Print the bulletin and give to them. This can be very dangerous if it slips while you are on the highway passing or on the on ramp. You are literally stuck coasting for several seconds.

OP
OP
VBreithaupt

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The technical service bulletin is Momentary Neutral-out condition in drive 23-212 May 15th 2023
This matches my same exact symptoms. Mine did not throw any codes, so document times when it happens.
We will see which way they elect to fix it according to the bulletin.

Bkb2020

Reaction score
I need to be more pushy. Same year 2020 , same issue , dealer told me they are not finding any codes. It bangs from 7th to 8th gear and has slipped a few times at the worst time ! Where is the bulletin? Do I have to search the month and year ?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to be more pushy. Same year 2020 , same issue , dealer told me they are not finding any codes. It bangs from 7th to 8th gear and has slipped a few times at the worst time ! Where is the bulletin? Do I have to search the month and year ?

BP 09

Reaction score
How many miles? These are classic CDF drum bushing failure symptoms. Push the dealer hard.

If your super low miles, check the fluid level (not always filled properly at factory). Consider getting a custom tune to address the trans as well from Gearhead, ZFG, or MPT. The latter offers a trans only tune if you don’t want more power.

George Banks

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I had similar issues with my 2019. The problem was most noticeable after sitting outside on a cold night. I had very hard shifting and slipping in most of the lower gears. Going into fifth was very hard. The transmission didn't throw any codes, but the test drive warranted them to pull down the transmission and take a deep look. When they did take it down, the transmission was deemed "unfixable" and they received approval to replace the whole thing with a new one - not remanufactured. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble since then and I'm going on 6 months now with the new one. Good luck!

OP
OP
VBreithaupt

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah mine was not hard shifts. It literally would slip out of gear into neutral for several seconds until it found a gear. I have experienced rough shifts when mine was cold but overall once the temp. came up it shifted normal. If you are a two feet driver that can cause issues as well. My is in shop jail now because of parts shortage and I have a 23 Expy for a rental and they seem to eliminated the 2 foot issues

sf-expedition

Reaction score
I took my 2020 SE Max in for leaking rear driver side drive axle, screen freezing up all the time and intermittent transmission slip, 6 times in last 6 months. Dealer was trying to balk on transmission service but I documented the mileage and times it slipped, showed them the service bulletin, and explained to them this could be potentially dangerous to my family especially on the highway. They called me back in two days and said they would do the repair. Everyone that is having this problem don't put it off. It slipped twice in the first year I had it and the dealership replaced a rear TCM. That did not fix it. It started slipping more this year. Print the bulletin and give to them. This can be very dangerous if it slips while you are on the highway passing or on the on ramp. You are literally stuck coasting for several seconds.
When I brought my 2020 XLT in for the same problem they identified that they had to replace the valve body. It took almost a month for them to get the part. It's in the shop now, but I also shared the TB 23-2120 with them. I hope the valve body replace also includes changing the valve body separator plate. Be happy to report back out once they fix the issue.

shelties-rock

Reaction score
What service bulletin? I need this. My 2019 is doing this. I just got thru taking it to them for “power train malfunction/reduced power” and they said it was “operating as designed” and did NOTHING nor did they pay for my rental car.

OP
OP
VBreithaupt

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So update on my slipping Transmission
I just got my EXPY back and the paperwork shows they did a TSB 22-2250, not a 22-2120 as I thought they would do since it described my symptoms better. Either way it seems like it was very complicated repair. We will see if that fixes the issue. It took 4 weeks to complete all repairs( had screen display issue and rear axle lead as well) which I thought wasn't too bad. 1 week was just waiting on a part that they could find because of strike.