Snow cables or just stay with AT tires for snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
I have a 19 Expy platinum (285x45x22), with continental TerrainContact ATs.

the owners manual says that for 17s and 18s that there are ford recommended chains. But, nothing indicated for 22s.

I called ford, big0, and a couple other tire shops. All are willing to sell me S-type (cables) but, none really knows if they are safe (when properly installed) for body and suspension. (Never on the fronts apparently, according to Ford)

any expertise out there on this?

thx

Plati

Reaction score

the owners manual says that for 17s and 18s that there are ford recommended chains. But, nothing indicated for 22s.

I called ford, big0, and a couple other tire shops. All are willing to sell me S-type (cables) but, none really knows if they are safe (when properly installed) for body and suspension. (Never on the fronts apparently, according to Ford)

thx
always been an issue for me. always heard from dealer and wherever no chains, especially in front … ive posted on here about that and don't think anyone has ever said they use chains cables or socks. just talked to my shop yesterday about this and he said not a lot of extra room , especially in front. if I could I would have studded snow tires

I hope you can put chains on the BRONCO when it comes out!!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

thx
I had to sign an actual stand alone Ford Document saying I was told not to run traction devices on my 2019 Expedition. I’ve owned and bought a few AwD and 4x4x where they said traction devices not recommended but never was told flat out “no” devices and even had to sign to say I was told such.

My guess is the Platinum wheels leave zero room for error regarding damage to sensitive bits from loose cables etc. Having said that I’ll have a set of Zcables to meet CAL Trans requirements and likely never use them. My subaru two cars ago 18 yrs ago was basically the same rule. I did end up using cables once to climb up about 70 ft of iced over driveway to get out of a cabin that was down below the main road. Took the cables off up on the road and that was the one and only time I’ve ever chained/cabled up ever!

I suspect the Expedition will be the same.

Last winter we spent 3 days in the worst snow dump I’ve seen in 28 yrs. over 6 ft dumped at 3200 ft where no snow removal equipment exists. Our old 2010 Subaru no cables with decent all seasons had no issues other than one 20ft section of road to our cabin that has a down hill 90 degree off camber turn into a steep 20 ft climb thats slopes off to the right shoulder. Halfway up the climb I slid to the side against the berm. Shoveled about 10ft of the street and drove right up.

I hope the active AWD and variable braking tech on the Expedition is just as good. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be other than the weight disadvantage.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good set of tires and if your going someplace extreme a set of Mattrax. These things are amazing. You can get yourself out of snow, mud, sand and use them for ramps up ledges. 4x4 and diff lock can get you places you need these.
4ca5acf96a60954cba1ae7eaf757ce87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
Unlikely to hit below +10 degrees F. So . . .

also, I am familiar with the mattrax. Like them. Used to have a toyo 4Runner. Not as likely to get crazy with my Expy.

thx guys.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in Colorado. They just passed a law here that, in certain counties, traction devices must be used whenever there's snow. Fortunately, I don't live in any of those counties. But if I happen to travel into one, I need to have the chains or cables. The fine for not having them is pretty hefty.