So my water pump went out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
10 days ago noticed a big streak of coolant in the driveway. Checked levels and figured i had enough to make it to the dealership. Heard back today that it was the water pump. Covered under warranty. Picking it up tomorrow. Seems strange it would fail with only 32k miles on it. Checked other messages and didn't see anyone having issues with such low mileage.

Thoughts?

2018 4x4

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is a 3rd gen and double your mileage but I just bought my 2017 expy at 84K and it needed a new turbo, two spark plugs & could (on #'s 2 & 5) a new water pump, a new climate seat module for the front passenger seat, and a couple other things but all of those things went bad before I got my expy so the dealership is taking care of it. But maybe your issue is just a defective pump?? Hope you don't have any more trouble from yours especially since it is such low miles

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had my water pump done as it was leaking too. That was a $700 job. 2018 here with 114,000 kms

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealer is covering all of my work since it existed before I bought it and it is over $2,700 NOT including Labor costs

pauldevz

Reaction score
My car has just been diagnosed with a leaking water pump. I'm on a 120000 routine service. I have observed that the coolant reservoir has been decreasing and topping it up. Dealer is asking for $480 for replacement.
I asked them to send a photo, it was drips coming from the pump. image2.jpg
Should I be worried this will fail anytime soon?
I did not take the extended warranty.
Will there be possible major issues like turbo waste gate issues etc., that would benefit from the purchase of an extended warranty?

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Guys, you may hate me for this. But I paid $1500.00 for the super-wonder-coolio extended maintenance plan for my 2020 KR. Kicks in above and beyone factory service plan. Good for 100k miles and 6 yrs, it literally pays for everything including stuff like windshield wipers and brake pads/rotors. Even oil changes and washer fluid lol. And - it's transferable to a new owner if sold.

I mean, I just don't want any issues with maint on this truck going forward. I could fill a large post for all the issues I've had with both of my Mercedes that I've had to divvy up $$ myself. Even a new engine which ** I ** had to replace in my garage, taking 6 weeks because I'd never done one.

Glad to have a Ford, and glad to have an extended maint plan!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My car has just been diagnosed with a leaking water pump. I'm on a 120000 routine service. I have observed that the coolant reservoir has been decreasing and topping it up. Dealer is asking for $480 for replacement.
I asked them to send a photo, it was drips coming from the pump. View attachment 69653
Should I be worried this will fail anytime soon?
I did not take the extended warranty.
Will there be possible major issues like turbo waste gate issues etc., that would benefit from the purchase of an extended warranty?

I would have the pump replaced and not take a chance. A water pump can leak for a long time, or fail and strand you and your family. You also run the risk of suddenly losing a lot of coolant, and overheating the engine (which can severely damage it).

I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 and the dealer recently replaced the water pump at 80,*** miles - because it was leaking also. I have the Ford ESP - so I paid a deductible.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just prior to them doing my water pump at 114,000 km I had my rear main seal done at 99,000 km. In retrospect, I should have just told them to inspect and potentially replace the water pump when they had the engine disassembled...