Sound proofing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Has anyone taken extra measures to sound proof the interior from road noise etc.. ?

Considering trying some dynomat but upon inspection it appears to have a fair amount of sound insulation already installed on the interior panels. It did seem fairly quiet when it was stock but with the addition of my 3" exhaust there is a nice deep rumble that seems to resonate in the interior and much more noticable if you are in the back seat.

So I am curious if anyone has gone through the effort to improve sound proofing and their results if any.

Last edited:

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do the doors, i have 2 layers of deadening on the outer skin and 2 layers on the inner skin of all 4 doors as well as the hatch. The other spots in the rear trunk/cargo area floor has a single layer. Behind the rear panels has absolutely no deadening from factory, mine now has 2 layers. I still plan on doing the roof as well.

The doors will make a HUGE difference. my wife noticed it right away on the highway. She could talk to me in a normal voice from the back seat. I used Wirez. Sound Deadening and have nearly 200 sg/f of it in my truck. Preforms way better than dynamat and costs a bit less.

chad9f9

Reaction score
I used USeal from home depot. It is the kind that you use on roof repair. I lined the doors and root with the stuff. So much quieter especially during highway and heavy rain. I still need to do the floor but have been lazy. I am positive it would help with the exhaust noise.

Very easy to install. Didn't need any special tools except a utility knife. Stuff sticks to just about anything. It also helps with the TX heat. Before the lining the overhead console was blistering hot and my sunglasses in the console holder would not be wearable as the metal frames would too hot. After the lining was in place the roof is not as hot and only feels warm to the touch even in 100+ temps.

Here is the link.

USeal Band 6 in. Aluminum Foil Self-Adhesive Repair Tape-8872AF6 at The Home Depot

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom, I've done several vehicles with stuff from lowes called "peel and seal." It's used for insulation in the top of mobile homes, google it and you'll see tons of car forums where people have used it. Having personally done it on about 5 vehicles, I can say that it works well, and is very cheap compared to dynamat (~$15 a roll, took like 2 rolls for a navigator.)

The only drawback is the smell... you'll want to do it when you can leave the windows down for 3-5 days and let it air out. After it airs out, no smell at all.

EDIT: http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
do the doors, i have 2 layers of deadening on the outer skin and 2 layers on the inner skin of all 4 doors as well as the hatch. The other spots in the rear trunk/cargo area floor has a single layer. Behind the rear panels has absolutely no deadening from factory, mine now has 2 layers. I still plan on doing the roof as well.

The doors will make a HUGE difference. my wife noticed it right away on the highway. She could talk to me in a normal voice from the back seat. I used Wirez. Sound Deadening and have nearly 200 sg/f of it in my truck. Preforms way better than dynamat and costs a bit less.

I used USeal from home depot. It is the kind that you use on roof repair. I lined the doors and root with the stuff. So much quieter especially during highway and heavy rain. I still need to do the floor but have been lazy. I am positive it would help with the exhaust noise.

Very easy to install. Didn't need any special tools except a utility knife. Stuff sticks to just about anything. It also helps with the TX heat. Before the lining the overhead console was blistering hot and my sunglasses in the console holder would not be wearable as the metal frames would too hot. After the lining was in place the roof is not as hot and only feels warm to the touch even in 100+ temps.

Here is the link.

USeal Band 6 in. Aluminum Foil Self-Adhesive Repair Tape-8872AF6 at The Home Depot

Well...... I ordered dynomat shortly after I posted based on reviews on the web. Depending on how much I need /use I will look into these other options.

Thanks for the quick replys. These are a few options I did not see or consider.

So it sounds to me it was a worthwhile investment?!

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it sounds to me it was a worthwhile investment?!

Very much so.

I have seen that tape from Home depot and lowes before, yeah its a great price, but in the long run just doesnt stay stuck. Especially when it gets hot. I redid a buddies roof with rear sound deadening (wirez) after he used the HD stuff and after a year it was all laying on the headlines and not on the metal. What a mess. It has its place (namely the floor IF you want to go that route) but your using it for something it was never intended.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena