Spare tire orientation Valve up or down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Down.

To be clear, the main design reason for the factory installed orientation is to prevent various kinds of debris (including salt) from accumulating over time on the "inside" of the spare, which could potentially corrode the mounting flange of the wheel and prevent good seating when mounted and used. From a prioritization standpoint....I believe it's more important to ensure there is air in the tire....

And as I've mentioned on other threads...If you have enough spare tire awareness to participate in this discussion....Get the spare balanced. Ford doesn't balance them and you don't want to be on a long trip and have to log freeway speed miles with an unbalanced spare!

One additional cautionary note. My Expedition is a '20 FX4 which came with a regular all season road tire as a spare, which will work for me if I ever have to use it. My '22 F150 FX4 came with a Temporary spare with virtually NO tread. I go places with both vehicles that that tire would not get me back from. One of the first things I did was spec out a real all season road tire and replace it. I'm not sure what Ford did with the '21+ Expeditions; but, if you were unlucky enough to get one of the "treadless" spares...you may want to consider swapping it out.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will add a tire balance to my list for the mechanic. It appears to be full size, but smaller rim.