Spare tire orientation Valve up or down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So days after removing/wrestling/reinstalling my spare (2013 Expy) to clean it up and inspect it. I read the owners manual and it says to install it valve stem up. That sucker is heavy and the thought of cranking it down , pulling it out and flipping and cranking up again is not pleasant. I always thought valve stem down so the pressure can be checked. Maybe Ford has a reason?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So days after removing/wrestling/reinstalling my spare (2013 Expy) to clean it up and inspect it. I read the owners manual and it says to install it valve stem up. That sucker is heavy and the thought of cranking it down , pulling it out and flipping and cranking up again is not pleasant. I always thought valve stem down so the pressure can be checked. Maybe Ford has a reason?

My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 spare tire came mounted with the valve stem up - and instructions in the manual to mount it that way.

Very stupid design as you must lower the spare tire to check or adjust the air pressure in it.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Joe
As you are already aware, cranking the tire down and back up is a PITA, especially with the tool Ford provides. I put a pair of vice grips in the jack compartment so I can spin the vertical rod easily. The next step is to fashion an old ratchet extension to replace the vertical rod so I can either use a ratchet or battery impact to run it down and back up.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Joe
As you are already aware, cranking the tire down and back up is a PITA, especially with the tool Ford provides. I put a pair of vice grips in the jack compartment so I can spin the vertical rod easily. The next step is to fashion an old ratchet extension to replace the vertical rod so I can either use a ratchet or battery impact to run it down and back up.
Yeah, I am going to rig up my cordless drill to see if I can turn that a bit faster.

The only possible reason to put it with valve up is to prevent road debris from hitting the stem. But chances are more likely it would impact the tread.

turtle019

Reaction score

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I am going to rig up my cordless drill to see if I can turn that a bit faster.

The only possible reason to put it with valve up is to prevent road debris from hitting the stem. But chances are more likely it would impact the tread.
There was a post about this subject a while back - maybe last year, where someone found a valve extension hose which screws onto the valve and come down around the tire to all you to check and fill the tire with the valve facing up. I'll see if I can find it.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a post about this subject a while back - maybe last year, where someone found a valve extension hose which screws onto the valve and come down around the tire to all you to check and fill the tire with the valve facing up. I'll see if I can find it.
Here is the link to the thread and below it the link to the hose. If you do a google search there are a lot of them from various vendors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078RGXMW/?coliid=IBR7ID3YP3X4L&colid=3UV8LYOZGLQZZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score

When I travel any distance, I bring my 1/2" Dewalt impact with me anyway - don't want to jack around removing lugs by hand, so I'll just figure out what I need to adapt to that.