Spark Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
egr ports might be plugged with carbon ,egr is used to cool the cumbustion chamber and to help with detionation. take off the egr check the ports in the intake

OP
OP

00 Expy Police

Reaction score
well im lost i have replaced everything i can think of and still have spark knock in the morning when its cold,and when i come slow down from high speed ( sometimes ) but mainly in the morning,i changed the plugs to double platinum,new coils wires and then back to used ones, E G R valve,E G R vacume presure switch,DPFE switch, Idle control valve ,seafoam in vac line (1.5 cans) and 1 in oil and gas tank,and nothing works,when not sparking it runs so smooth.
I ran it on the scanner and when it started to spark knock we watched the timing retard to 3-5 deg and it was still spark knocking and cant figure out why it spark knocking when the timing retard's down to 3-5 deg,,o2 sensors read read good and no check eng light :shrug:,could the computer be going bad cause thats bout the only thing i can think of?????

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
lets look at somthing diffrent,what weight oil is in the truck ?
the cam phazers need to have 5w20 to work properly.
is the oil pressure correct?
are you confusing piston slap with ping?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
from what you told me on the phone it has to be electrical.
spark knocking then you turn it off, restart runs fine for the rest of the trip

OP
OP

00 Expy Police

Reaction score
from what you told me on the phone it has to be electrical.
spark knocking then you turn it off, restart runs fine for the rest of the trip

yes thats what i dont understand,,u think that 10w-30 gonna make it do that,,if it does ill be happy to put 5w-20,only reason i did cause of morning rattle for that 1.5 sec ,thought it would help that out

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
lets look at somthing diffrent,what weight oil is in the truck ?
the cam phazers need to have 5w20 to work properly.
is the oil pressure correct?
are you confusing piston slap with ping?

I thought Cam phazers are specific to 3v and 4v motors with the variable valve timing. The 2v motors do not have cam phazers that I am aware of. I assume the op has a 2000 expy motor ??

"yes thats what i dont understand,,u think that 10w-30 gonna make it do that,,if it does ill be happy to put 5w-20,only reason i did cause of morning rattle for that 1.5 sec ,thought it would help that out"

Rattle on start up is likely caused by lack of oil pressure or oil bleeding out of the passages. This is not normal. What oil filter are you using?? The oil filter has a check valve to prevent this bleed down.

OP
OP

00 Expy Police

Reaction score
I thought Cam phazers are specific to 3v and 4v motors with the variable valve timing. The 2v motors do not have cam phazers that I am aware of. I assume the op has a 2000 expy motor ??

00 expy yes but 03 2v motor,im assuming they finished out the 2v early in the year cause the tag on the new motor said biult in 03

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ok no cam phazers in 2v motor. i learned sumthing today
still need to figure this out