Spark Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Ive got a 2003 4.6 XLT and I'm experience spark knock on acceleration. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Not quite sure what that means but if your talking misfire then maybe it's time to change the plugs and coils...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If yes, it can have several causes, or combinations of causes. Among the most common (in no particular order) are improper ignition timing, combustion chamber deposits, improper EGR system operation, ignition system crossfire, a defective knock sensor or low fuel octane.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll need a vacuum pump, you can get on at any auto supply store. Remove hose with engine off install hose from pump, pump up to about 20 inches vacuum on guage. If egr valve is good it should hold vacuum. If it drops you have a bad valve. I usually put hose against my finger first then pump just to make sure pump is good. Second start SUV warmup vehicle attach hose from pump to egr pump up again to 15-20 inches motor should stumble and want to die. That test tells you that port from egr to motor is clear. If it doesn't stumble you need to remove egr and clear passage. They get carboned up and blocked. Make sure the first test passes. Good luck, keep us posted. P.S you shouldn't need above 87 octane if all else is good. Moose.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your welcome, as always start with simplest first. Have a Midas or whatever shop that can run your dtc computer codes for you. Most do it for free. Have them do so. You don't want to start changing parts all willynilly. Keep us posted, Moose.

OP
OP
Reaction score
i disconnected the vacuum line going from the egr solenoid to the egr valve and am getting no vacuum at steady 2500 rpm which leads me to believe that the solenoid isn't working properly. There is vacuum going to the solenoid