Spark Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what it sounds like. Put your thumb against hose going to egr rev engine. If you feel nothing, probably solenoid. Are their any other solenoids like it you can swap to be sure? If not might have to spring for one. Be carefully with wrecking yard ones they may be bad too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If yes, it can have several causes, or combinations of causes. Among the most common (in no particular order) are improper ignition timing, combustion chamber deposits, improper EGR system operation, ignition system crossfire, a defective knock sensor or low fuel octane.

A weak fuel pump can cause this as well. Had that problem on my Lincoln Mark VIII.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides the detonation, how's the power particularly on grades? Not a bad idea after you correct egr problem to buy or borrow a fuel pressure guage to fuel injection port. Should be above 35psi. Is that correct guys?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as it's got enough to pull open the egr valve. If you have a vacuum guage put it on the hose rev engine and see how much vacuum their is. If reading is lower than specs, test at dpfe sensor, and egr solenoid. If you don't have the repair DVD. Theirs a procedure on line that walks you through it. Let us know what you find. Was the egr port clear when you tested it? You did test it didn't you?