Spark Plug Change on 3V motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good Info. As I am going to change mine in the spring. I will say this though. I have 120K on my 05 and it is holding in there like a champ. This has been an EXTREMELY good truck. Much better than my old 2003.

saltymullet

Reaction score
i just did mine and it wasnt to bad. i might credit using seafoam for three tanks in a row to clean off the carbon build up or maybe it was the pb blaster i soaked them with either way. just be careful they tend to scream on the way out

Never_Evil

Reaction score
Platinum plugs like yours do not have a large electrode like traditional copper core plugs, yours look fairly decent for their age. The gap on them looks a little bigger than .054" One trick you can do when replacing plugs on a 2v version is removing the fuel rail. Use the schrader valve to relieve pressure in the fuel rails, unbolt the 4 mounting points and gently lift up to separate the rail and injectors from the intake. Use a vacuum or compressed air to remove debris from the spark plug hole then squirt a small amount of PB blaster into the hole. Get a higher quality spark plug socket so it doesn't round off the plug or break the ceramic. U-joints will help in achieving the correct spark plug angle in removing them. Remove them slowly to allow the PB blaster to help lubricate the threads as you take them out. The new ones will need anti-seize put on the threads, do not skip that step. If you do not use anti-seize, the steel spark plug will corrode to the aluminum head and you will destroy threads on the next plug change. After all old plugs are out and new ones in, use some dielectric grease on the COPs to ensure full spark transfer through conductivity and not through arching. Then use either Petroleum jelly or dielectric grease around the O rings of the fuel injectors to help them pop back into the intake manifold.