spark plug / coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bavism

Reaction score
I am a new owner of a 2003. I didn't get service records when I bought it so I'm thinking I should change the plugs (along with a few other maintenance items) since it has 120k and I'm not sure how long they have been in there. I should at least check them, but if I'm removing them, I might as well replace them so I don't have to go through the pain I've been reading about again anytime soon.

Should the coils be changed as well, or do you leave those alone unless you know they are failing?

Also it looks like what I have read is my 2003 (5.4) should be outside the timeframe when the engines had issues with blowing out spark plugs and
should not have the issue with the plugs breaking upon removal. Is that correct?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything needs to be changed...all fluids...cop...sparks...fuel filters...transmission...cabin filters...check ball joints upper and lower...sway links...

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

Starman

Reaction score
Use the impact wrench method when changing plugs, that's you're only hope not to break one.

Mine has 91k and I just did the plugs. I didn't do the coils, only because I don't have the money to replace all of them and my truck is running like new.

But if you got the money, just change them all while your in there, save you some time down the road.

OP
OP
B

bavism

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It appears the previous owner took really good care it and has inspired me to do the same. But unfortunately I don't have any service records so I don't know when each item was done last. I'm planning on changing all of the maintenance items so I know when they were recently done.

RSVRMAN

Reaction score
Buy the lisle. I was unable to get my 3/8 impact in there. You have a very high chance of breaking them.

I replaced my COP's with these.

Ford DG511 Set of 8 New Ignition Coils 4 6L 5 4L V8 Free Grease Pack 2004 2008 | eBay

They are copper wound and very well made. I compared to the others from OEM, to Accel, etc. Accel and others are aluminum/steel. OEM is copper.

I will do a review once installed for a year, but for the price even if one fails I'm miles ahead.

Good luck!