spark plug got spit out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krakoosh

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition with a 5.4 and 110K miles. #3 got ejected friday. A slight ticking noise started about 6 months ago, thought it was an exaust leak, and last week my wife said it was getting louder but neglected to pass that on to me. Anyways, she fired it up friday morning and thar she blows. My question is....any chance it was so far out that the threads are still good? If not, is it possible and or recommended to drill, tap, install insert myself? Which kit is best?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird. I thought they had fixed the plug spit out on the 2v 5.4 engines by 03. You do have the 2V 5.4, right (not the 3V 5.4)?

OP
OP
K

krakoosh

Reaction score
not sure about 2V or 3V...how do you tell? Probably a bit my fault for waiting so long to change 'em but still it shouldn't have backed out.

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition with a 5.4 and 110K miles. #3 got ejected friday. A slight ticking noise started about 6 months ago, thought it was an exaust leak, and last week my wife said it was getting louder but neglected to pass that on to me. Anyways, she fired it up friday morning and thar she blows. My question is....any chance it was so far out that the threads are still good? If not, is it possible and or recommended to drill, tap, install insert myself? Which kit is best?

The only way you are going to know is if you can re-thread the spark plug back in the head or inspect the threads yourself. Inspecting them by sight is a bit challenging because you will need to use a mirror and a bright light. Even then you may not be able to see the threads well.

Another member on here had a plug eject and he was fortunate enough to be able to thread it back in and keep going. However, the plug landed up spitting back out again but this time the threads were gone causing him to have the threads drilled out and tapped for an threaded insert which will allow for the a new plug to be installed.

With all of the information above, here is my personal recommendation:

1. If the plugs have never been changed, it's time for tune-up. I have experienced myself loose plugs in the cylinder heads. From searching various Ford forums, common information has indicated that the plugs do sometimes seem to wiggle loose over 100,000 miles. I have experienced two loose plugs myself (not wobbly loose, but not as firmly seated as they should be) when I did my plug change at 100k. I believe, and from communicating with others, that the 100k interval is too long and plugs should be changed at 50k miles instead. I talked with one member who never experienced a blow out and that's what he did in the three plug changes he gave his Expedition. Now, while I'm at it, the thing to remember is getting the installation of the new plugs right. The new plugs should be torqued between 7 - 15 ft lbs of torque. That's all. It's literally hand tight. No more, no less. For the record I installed mine at 12 ft lbs and have had good luck so far - knock on wood!

2. If the plugs were changed at 100,000 miles as recommended by Ford, you need to find out if they were installed with the correct amount of torque and secondly if they used Motorcraft plugs. Most of any plug blowout stories you read involve a recent tune-up or use of non-Motorcraft plugs.

Good luck and sorry for your misfortune!

OP
OP
K

krakoosh

Reaction score
Nope. Never been changed and tried to look with a mirror...no luck. Guess I'll just have to try a new plug to see if it goes in ok. I saw a video of the drill, tap, new insert but that was on a bench with a cut away head...simple. A little different over the fender, not sure if I can pull that off. We shall see. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
K

krakoosh

Reaction score
Mine's a 2V then. Came off the line Dec 02 and I bought it Jan 1 03. Co workers are saying don't change coils just the plugs...true?

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
Co workers are saying don't change coils just the plugs...true?

I disagree somewhat. A proper tune-up will include new plugs and coils. And with new coils, the boots and springs should be replaced with new as well. However, you can get away with just changing the plugs.

Probably a bit my fault for waiting so long to change 'em but still it shouldn't have backed out.

Did you change them yourself or have a shop do the work? If so I'd quit driving the vehicle until you have verified the torque on the plugs. I'd loosen the plugs and and then tighten and verify they are torqued correctly. I don't mean to sound pushy or arrogant by typing all of this but I'd hate to see you go through this again down the road.

OP
OP
K

krakoosh

Reaction score
Well I want to get it right so any and all feedback is very much appreciated. The plugs have never been changed so the one spit out was the original and it's still sitting in the garage. I kept putting off changing them and I'm with you on changing coils as well. A co worker has done the insert install before so he's going to do that tomorrow to get Mama back on the road and I'll get the coils and plugs this weekend. Inserts are 3.99 at Napa parts...that sound right or are those junk?

Last edited: