spark plug got spit out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ExpGuy

Reaction score
Well I want to get it right so any and all feedback is very much appreciated. The plugs have never been changed so the one spit out was the original and it's still sitting in the garage. I kept putting off changing them and I'm with you on changing coils as well. A co worker has done the insert install before so he's going to do that tomorrow to get Mama back on the road and I'll get the coils and plugs this weekend. Inserts are 3.99 at Napa parts...that sound right or are those junk?

As long as the insert is an actual machine insert and not a helicoil you'll be good to go. If you decide to change the plugs yourself be sure to post here or PM me. I've done the job twice and know the difficult areas and solutions to doing the job.

And realistically I'd be glad you have the 2v heads and not the 3v because Ford switched to a two-part/piece plug with more threads in the cylinder heads for the plugs and those have problems with becoming carboned up and breaking off in the heads requiring the heads to be removed in some instances.

This is supposed to be one of the best DIY kits available with everything you need except power tools. Take a look at 41 seconds in - that's the type of insert you want; not a helicoil as those run the chance of blowing out again.
http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html

OP
OP
K

krakoosh

Reaction score
The company I work for has a kit but I wanted to replace the insert I used so I called timesert and they were 11 bucks with a minimum purchase of 5 and Napa said their's were 4. Nope, no helicoil for me. Thanks for the help and I will PM you on the plug job.