spark plug problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XYYZ

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just posted an intro in the new member section.

I have an 03 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 engine.

I know spark plugs blowing out of the head is quite common with my year and engine.

I searched the tech and how to forums and only got more info on this problem

The plug that came out on mine is the rear passenger one, I know it needs a heli coil to fix it.
My question is: how does the heli coil get installed? do you put it on the new plug and just turn it in? I think there is a special tool Needed. Does auto zone or the like loan these tools.
Does the Ford Dealer carry the correct replacement bits since it is a common fault?
How tough of a job is this considering the plugs location?
Is this a DIY job or should I take it in?
Anyone know how much a shop will charge to do it?
Is there a how to anywhere on the forum that I missed?
Sorry for the long post but I want to cover all the bases before I start this project.
Thanks.
Greg.

OP
OP
X

XYYZ

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video Tom.

Wow, major work and many steps. I guess the head has to come off.

No way to use all those tools in the space I have at the back of the motor.

Anyone one know what a shop will charge?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It can be done with heads on vehicle.

Have not done it myself but others here have... hopefully they will chime in.

OP
OP
X

XYYZ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Canadian.

Would you or anyone know where I can rent or if it is available for loan?
Thanks.

ktrjones12

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just posted an intro in the new member section.

I have an 03 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 engine.

I know spark plug wires blowing out of the head is quite common with my year and engine.

I searched the tech and how to forums and only got more info on this problem

The plug that came out on mine is the rear passenger one, I know it needs a heli coil to fix it.
My question is: how does the heli coil get installed? do you put it on the new plug and just turn it in? I think there is a special tool Needed. Does auto zone or the like loan these tools.
Does the Ford Dealer carry the correct replacement bits since it is a common fault?
How tough of a job is this considering the plugs location?
Is this a DIY job or should I take it in?
Anyone know how much a shop will charge to do it?
Is there a how to anywhere on the forum that I missed?
Sorry for the long post but I want to cover all the bases before I start this project.
Thanks.
Greg.

Well, installing heli coil is a bit easy to do. Just search youtube for vid tutorial. Just to add, heli coil with diameters bigger than 1/2 inch or12mm, use long-nosed pliers to remove the tang. Hold the tang with the pliers, bend it alternately in and out until it comes free.

Last edited:

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry this happened to you......... I purchased my 98 eddie baur a couple of months ago. I wanted to replace the plugs and bought bosch 4 platinum plugs thinking it would be an easy weekend project. After reading about the horror stories on the net, I decided to pay a mechanic......... I gave them the plugs that I had purchased, and they said they could not warranty if the plugs were not original factory plugs............ I was led to believe that aftermarket parts were the culprit to plugs shooting out of the coil. Not sure if they were blowing smoke up my butt, but I would advise that you stick with the original parts........ you will probably never have to replace them again