Spark Plug Removal Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigryno77

Reaction score
While removing spark plugs on my 2007 expo, I ran into a issue with #3 and 4 plug( which is the 2 back on the left side if u are looking at engine). I can not get my socket to fit on plug right. It feels like it is on tight then while turning it slips up. This has happened on both the first time I tried to losen and spray them. I though maybe it was debris, so I blew both holes out again to no success. Im using brand new sockets and fitted it to new and the other old plugs I pulled to make sure there is not any free play. Being in the back they are damn near impossible to see down into. I do not think they are striped unless they was messed with before I bought it with 60k miles on it. The plug seem to be the original ones. If anyone has any insight into this I would Greatly appreciate it . This situation is stressful lol I am not a certified mechanic in any form but I know my way around cars.

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are u using the socket with the black rubber deal in there, I always have one socket with out that piece in there,

OP
OP
B

Bigryno77

Reaction score
Yes I have both one with the spark plug grabber and one with out,same results. Nightmare job 2 came out whole 4 broke and 2 that I can not get :(. Insanity at its best

wadesdad

Reaction score
Plug problem

Had this problem with several 03 5.4 engines. Take a piece of 3/4" copper pipe and cut some slots in one end. Then form it around one of your removed spark plugs to make it have a snugger fit. Drop the ragged end in the spark plug hole. spin it to grind up any debris. Use air to blow it out, then try your socket again. Just did it yesterday and can post a pick if you wish.

gears351

Reaction score
Wadesdad - I had to do the same thing on a dodge 5.9 wish I'd read your post a year ago ;) I cut up a decent 5/8 socket to act like a cutter for getting the grunge out - your copper pipe setup would've been alot quicker