Spark Plugs Change in an '07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the truck to my local dealer a free oil change and the tech tells me the plug change interval has been changed from 100K to 60K. He lets me know it would be about $300 for the plug change which includes one plug break, should it happen. Each plug break thereafter is $40-$80 depending on how long it takes to remove, he said most are removed in 1/2 hour, $40.

On my way home, I call the dealer I bought the truck from, about an hour away and ask what they charge for a plug change and they say $460, plus $40-$80 for each plug break. He said I need platinum plugs which is why the price is so high. The first dealer never mentioned platinum plugs and the second dealer said not everyone put platinum plugs back in. It looks like the Motorcraft SP-507 plug is what Rockauto is calling for and it is a platinum plug, but Summit Racing is calling for the Champion and it's saying the SP 507 plug is for the previous model Expy.

I am still in the early stages of my research and thought I'd stop by here and drop a line to see what others had to say.

Any and all comments are welcome, thanks!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the first dealer is putting OEM plugs in, they're most likely platinum. Even if the first dealer's price wasn't including platinum plugs, it would be cheaper to go buy them at Advance/Autozone (I think they're like 5 bucks a piece), and have them do it.

Also, see which spark plug (as in model number) both dealers are going to put in. That should clear up which site is right.

OP
OP
J

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O'Reillys and Autozone have the SP-507 plugs for around $5, O'Reillys also has a finewire platinum plug, SP-515, from Motorcraft that supposedly is for my Expedition. I'll get after the dealer on Mon and see which plug they say is right.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only have 45,000 on my Expy and 1 year left on the bumper to bumper warranty. I was thinking of having the plugs changed now vs. after the warranty thinking that if a plug breaks it might be covered by the warranty.

So how is it that as consumers we accept the fact that we have to pay if these plugs break, isn't the fact they break due to not being properly coated with anti-seize and / or improper head design? Shouldn't Ford be responsible for this cost?

OP
OP
J

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It won't be covered under warranty. I tried that one with my '04 F150....it's scheduled maintenance and none of that is covered.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is manufacturers defect not included? Breaking spark plugs is not "routine maintenance". I understand the plugs and cost to replace not being covered but arguably if a spark plug is stuck due to failure by Ford to use anti-seize on the threds should be covered, why should the consumer be responsible for that expense?

OP
OP
J

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many have argued and none have won...bring it up with your local dealer and see what he says about it. Read about it on fl150online....

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not lack of anti-sieze on the threads, it's the electrode boot sticking. In the TSB, it says to only put anti-sieze on the electrode boot. But yea, it was poor design, which took them a couple years to fix. At least they figured out a TSB on how to remove them. The first couple people with broken plugs had to pay 1000+ for head removal.

Last edited:

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 97 also. I just replaced my plugs and coil packs. I bought the 8pack accel coil packs at $209 shipped from Summit and i bought Motorcraft platinum plugs at Kragen/Oreilly for about $5 a piece. The mechanic i used only charged $115 to replace the coil packs and $40 to replace all plugs. So i paid total $155 for labor and about $250 parts. Maybe you ought to ask around and see if you find a mechanic that charges less. My mechanic told me to use the motorcraft and not to use the autolite!

Chrysler79

Reaction score
Anyone heard of the Champion plugs that are one piece to prevent breakage? I guess they are pretty pricey, but my buddy is trying to prevent a broken one from the get go. First one he pulled broke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker