Spark Plugs, Torque Specs, and TSBs for the 4.6 2v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to change out my spark plugs on the 2002 Expedition 4.6 engine, I guess its the 2v not 3v right?

It seems there is a lot of talk about the lack of threads in the head and possibly the spark plug. I want to do this right and not have a plug be spit out of a cylinder.

Can someone enlighten me over what the proper procedure would be and parts?
that is has the spark plug been updated to have more threads?
is there a new torque spec (what is it)?
are there recommendation for using anti-seize?
removal procedures?

Thanks in Advance !

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wouldn.t make any difference if the spark plug had more threads Its the threads in the head that are lacking. Make sure you put the proper torque on the plugs And according to the service manual it is

Spark plugs 18 Nm 13 lb-ft

The attached picture was copied from the 2002 Ford Service Manual

Attachments

• spark plugs.gif
    spark plugs.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 26

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not too tight would be the rule. When you feel its snug then that should do it.

Rather than saying not to tight. Don't you think knowing the torque specs is a better answer "Not too tight" could mean different torque values to different people Again your advice is WAY off the mark.

Plus the OP asked for a torque spec and you didn't provide it

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I read things online saying the specs had been updated... so I wonder if the original 2002 service is still correct... heard there's been a tsb

I see videos and the techs say go to above 20 ft lbs.... but then again some say go snug then add 1/8 th more of a turn...

I see pictures comparing plugs and old ones have less threads than new...

does anyone know if there has been or not been a tsb over these?

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well today the local stealership sold me SP-493 or AGSF32PM plugs, but I just bought one as the tried to charge me 7.91 whereas fordparts has it as 5.10. They were nice enough to knock it down to 5.10.

Rock Auto is 2.37.

The owners manual from 2002 listed AWSF-32P

I will probably pull one out tomorrow and see what was in there.

Then plan on doing the whole job in the near future

OP
OP

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled #1 and found as a AGSF32PM and it was at .52 and showed brown anti seize in threads ... looks like the previous bloke sank some coin into it... with a proper shop.... awesome !

looked great and got it back in at 13.5 ft lbs.... that is set at 13.5 and first got hand (fuel line) tight... wrench tight, then 2 sure tights on the Pittsburgh 3/8ths torque (with anti seize).

after I started it back up and let it idle, I removed each Fuel Inj connector and each showed a loss in performance... reattached and idled good.

the more I look and play with this 4.6... then more I am dispelling the BS about it's issues. everything was within reach

done... leave well enough alone !

Last edited:

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here is the deal and my experience with aluminum heads. Had them on my Mazda 6s, have them on my 2001 TA WS-6 and of course this Expedition (haven't looked at my 2015 Explorer) and various motorcycles. The motor I pulled out of this thing was not in very good condition (blown head gasket at 249,000). I pulled the plugs that were in it and they came out fine with no issue, they were not factory but had the zinc finish. Sure they where a little snug at first because of carbon on the threads but no issues. I've seen a variety of torque information but I pretty much go snug and another 1/8 turn and I'm good. That is, however, with zinc plated plugs. I never use anti-seize with zinc plated plugs because you don't need it and I've ready plenty of places where that stuff will leak down the plug and foul it over time. The only time I use any kind of anti Seize is if I'm using a normal plug with the black/raw finish and pretty much I stay away from those.

I put Bosch platinum 2's in this time and it run really smoothly. New motor so i can't comment on what my mileage really looks like.