Springs to Leafs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swanny87

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im new to this site and have recently got my hands on a '97 Expedition 5.4l 4x4. I had upper control arms in the rear fail and spun my axle and seperated the air bags. I had them converted over to springs by a local off-road shop. Now the catch. It squats 2" and so I proceded to look for spacers but as I read online that the conversion should of been placed back to factory heigth. Well on top of that, I also have learned by my readings that the front shocks would need to be replaced because they were air shocks as well. Well this shop did not replace those. Why? I have no idea. Im guessing they have never done this. But the more I think about it, I want to see about a 3/4 ton suspension if possible. I noticed another person on here had did a conversion with High Boy leaf suspension.

Do you have any ideas about this? Should I just scrap the coils and go to leafs? And if so, Who would you recomended me to or if you have done it, Can you give me some advice. My friend that knows a lot more about Fords said he will ask around as well but his son has 3/4 leafs from his pick up still that he had lifted with heavier leafs. Any advice would be great. I have many connections here that said they will help with an fabricating that I will need or help at that.

Thanks
Swanny

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
Well, my 2 cents is that since you've already swapped in springs, I'd try to make that work unless it's a poor/unsafe job.
What springs did the shop use when they did the conversion? Are the springs mounted over the axle or under the axle? This will matter when it's time to recommend a fix for your low stance.
If the air shocks fit after the conversion, then I see no problem in keeping them. I'd make darn sure they don't bottom out before the axle hits the bump stops. The shop DID install some proper bump stops, right?
Depending on a few factors, you can install an add-a-leaf, 'zero-rate' block, longer shackles, etc. to gain additional height but each fix will bring varying downsides with it as well.

Demontang

Reaction score
My experience in this it would be easier to get the coils to work vs all the fab work to go leaf.

OP
OP
S

Swanny87

Reaction score
Well, my 2 cents is that since you've already swapped in springs, I'd try to make that work unless it's a poor/unsafe job.
What springs did the shop use when they did the conversion? Are the springs mounted over the axle or under the axle? This will matter when it's time to recommend a fix for your low stance.
If the air shocks fit after the conversion, then I see no problem in keeping them. I'd make darn sure they don't bottom out before the axle hits the bump stops. The shop DID install some proper bump stops, right?
Depending on a few factors, you can install an add-a-leaf, 'zero-rate' block, longer shackles, etc. to gain additional height but each fix will bring varying downsides with it as well.

I dont know what springs they put in. We are looking into that. My friend that knows a lot more than what I know is looking into it. But from everything ive heard so far is that the coils in it now are most likely the wrong ones. Ive talked to a couple companies that do the conversion kit like Strutmaster and they are being on firm ground that the wrong springs were most likely put into it. And they have the clearance but they stil have the factory bump stops. The the problem with the air shocks in the front is that they need to be replaced with sealed shocks. They run off the air compressor which is turned off for not having the rear air bags. They are holding some air but I dont know for how long. So I know for sure I will have to replace those. But for the rear end at the moment. I do want to see about putting in a 3/4 ton suspension whether its a custom made one from the company local in town if they can do it or fab in these leafs that I can get my hands on. Im kinda in a bind but ya. I will have a picture up tomorrow of what it looks like currently.

And like I said, I am loking for advice on all this as to what direction im going to take. I have another project thats a grand cherokee and I cant kick that one off till I get this truck straight. And I know I did not mention but I did get this truck cheap because the guy was parting it out. I have put a lot of money into it but in one hand Ive saved a lot for a bigger vehicle and Im not going in debt with a payment. So it has potental. Im just taking one thing at a time.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
It seems I misunderstood your terminology. I read that you replaced the coils with leaf springs, so ignore everything I told you.

OP
OP
S

Swanny87

Reaction score
Nah. I had the rear air bags replaced with coils. I have the thought of converting out to leaf springs though. Its an idea right now. But could be possible if i can find the right information.

OP
OP
S

Swanny87

Reaction score
Regardless if they put 2wd coils i'm it not. This Monroe kit has everything i would of needed and is a lot cheaper. i paid over $750 for the posts and like 2 hours of labor. When i find out what this company that did the work will do and ill go from there. thanks for the kit information