Squeak sound from the belt...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi gang, 'been watching videos and reading up on this, and looking for input.

Have had a chirp when the compressor comes on for a long time. This last year it began to squeak with a start in cold weather, and went away.

The last few weeks the squeak no longer goes away.

Just now shot the belt with water and the noise went away, this means belt likely needs replacement?

Belt has not been changed for 140k.

Does this sound right? thanks

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
140k! Shame on you. Yes ditch that belt. In the past we would change belts, and hoses every3-4 years, or no later than 60k. I know nowadays everyone wants to stretch their dollar's. But overheating one of these 5800 pound behemoths will make you want to cry. A new quality serpentine belt is less than $50.00. Please change it before it leaves you stranded!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a serp belt kit that also includes the tensioner. The spring in them weakens as they age.

bummer i missed this and bought the belt already. Should i just go ahead and change it? and if there is still noise get a new tension-er? thanks.

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
replaced belt, other belt looked fine. ran silent at initial start up. then started to squeal during acceleration, and then a constant noise while louder under load. Sound goes away with water on the belt so i know it is the belt. Belt dressing makes it worse. I called oreillys and napa, and neither have the gator non squeak belt.

Any ideas? thanks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are looking at the problem the wrong way. Today's belts will run silent until there is a problem - usually a bearing in another component is failing causing excessive resistance which then forces the belt to slip on the pulley. Result is the squeal you hear.

Take the belt off the pulleys and spin each one by hand. They should spin rather quietly and without resistance. The water pump may be the "hardest" to spin depending on age. Spin in both directions slowly and "feel" the smoothness. When you hit the bad one you will know it.

A worn tensioner will bounce back and forth with the engine running. They normally have very little motion. If they are moving the tension isn't consistent and allows the belt to squeal also.

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the smack down. i see a little play on the tensioner, and more with revs. One idler pulley is a little slow, going to replace them both...

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You may have a pulley with a slight wobble or dirt build up on it. I highly recommend, the Goodyear or Continental Gatorback. The package says the quiet belt. It does not have endless grooves, it has a blocked tread design. I found mine on Ebay for $18(free ship).

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you, I had already bought a new belt and it squealed very loudly, and could not find the gator belt locally at all. I decided to take Stamp's smack down and tackle the components. I changed the tensioner and pulley, and the sticky idler pulley, as well as washing the new belt with soap, used carb cleaner on components, scrubbed all components with a wire brush, then wiped them down with a clean rag. put it all back together, all is quiet again. Thanks all.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a side note, in case you haven't considered it, you might want to stick the old belt under your seat for a rainy day.