Squeak when shifting at high acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've noticed with both of the second gens I've owned that (sometimes) if I gun it off an exit or at a red light lol, that once the tranny decides to shift the gear will change and it will be followed by a faint an quick (half a second long) squeak noise like a belt is slipping almost... I've read a little about it on the F150 forum but they don't think it's really problem and I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this little noise or if anyone has addressed it OR if it is ok to just leave it (which I think I will be doing) as my last truck went about 30k miles no problem and it sometimes made the noise.
Thanks guys, chime in if you've ever heard this before in the 5.4 second gen... Year doesn't seem to matter nueva use its happened in my 03 and 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvandoormaal

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've noticed with both of the second gens I've owned that (sometimes) if I gun it off an exit or at a red light lol, that once the tranny decides to shift the gear will change and it will be followed by a faint an quick (half a second long) squeak noise like a belt is slipping almost... I've read a little about it on the F150 forum but they don't think it's really problem and I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this little noise or if anyone has addressed it OR if it is ok to just leave it (which I think I will be doing) as my last truck went about 30k miles no problem and it sometimes made the noise.
Thanks guys, chime in if you've ever heard this before in the 5.4 second gen... Year doesn't seem to matter nueva use its happened in my 03 and 06.

I have definitely experienced the same thing in my '03 EB. Only happens when Im really giving it the beans. Does have high K so shifts are a bit hard at high RPM which is when it squeaks, but so far no issues at all. I did however replace by serp belt recently so I guess there could be some grease or oil or something on it causing it to slip occasionally.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have definitely experienced the same thing in my '03 EB. Only happens when Im really giving it the beans. Does have high K so shifts are a bit hard at high RPM which is when it squeaks, but so far no issues at all. I did however replace by serp belt recently so I guess there could be some grease or oil or something on it causing it to slip occasionally.

Yeah I'm not 100% what the PO replaced on mine but so far so good as I have no issues but I still hear that funny noise when I'm trying to be a racecar driver

glen r

Reaction score
I have an Edge CST in my 01 with the shift firmness cranked up. It does it on occasion. It did it before I replaced the pulley, idler and belt. With the Goodyear belt I very rarely noticed it. However my PS pump seized and took out the belt. The dealer replaced it with a Motorcraft and now it is very noticeable.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Edge CST in my 01 with the shift firmness cranked up. It does it on occasion. It did it before I replaced the pulley, idler and belt. With the Goodyear belt I very rarely noticed it. However my PS pump seized and took out the belt. The dealer replaced it with a Motorcraft and now it is very noticeable.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm ready to go around replacing things on mine just yet (financially) but if it's not a problem like I said earlier then I don't mind it all sounds kinda cool if you ask me lol

bavism

Reaction score
I've read on one of the forums before that this is your belt slipping on the alternator pulley. The drastic change in RPMs causes the belt to squeak on the alternator pulley. To go along with this theory the Police and service versions have an alternator pulley with a clutch in it that allows the pulley to spin with the momentum of the belt eliminating the squeak.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this issue on my Mark VIII after valvebody/tune so it shifted harder. The gatorback belt was the only thing that fixed it.