Starter bolt stripped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcrisman

Reaction score
I need your help... So i just replaced my starter on my 99 expedition. The top bolt was a BEAR. So when took out the bottom mounting bolt it was a bit odd. It is threaded on both sides. So first i had to take the nut and wire off, I assume was the ground wire but not sure. Next I took out the rest of the both from the frame. The end of that bolt was stripped but i didn't think it was a big deal. Dumb i know. So I put everything back together but that bottom bolt was loose because it was stripped, I didn't give it another thought. I hooked the battery back up and wow it started. I tried to start it 30 mins later and it wouldn't start. I lightly tapped on starter and it started back up?? So do you think the bottom bolt being stripped and loose is somehow causing the problem is indeed that wire is the ground wire? Or is the remanufactured starter a lemon? I called Advanced and Oreilly and the both said it could be the lose/stripped bolt. I need to find a new bolt first. Ideas of what kind of bolt this is? I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 361

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like the kind of bolt you are only going to find at the dealer... They should have a diagram of the starter motor and its mounts. I would start there. Also I would just double check that you are grounding to good metal and not rusty spots. Sand the area around the bolt a bit just to be sure.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed that this is a dealer bolt. I would try to pull the starter and have it tested at Autozone or Discount, etc.. for free and see what they say. I know currently I only have 2 bolts in mine and its been that way for over a year with no issues, but the bolt not used is the middle bolt. The bottom and top bolts still hold just fine. Keep us posted for what happens.

OP
OP
J

jcrisman

Reaction score
I called Ford this morning, the bottom bolt is a 13mm stud bolt. My local ford dealer can order it at a cost of $30. $30 for a bolt?? The wire that attaches to the bottom bolt is the ground wire. I decided to ground that wire to the middle of the 3 retaining bolts this morning. I reconnected the battery and it my engine fired right up. I will try to find a replacement bolt for the bottom, but i will not shell out $30. I'm sure I can find something that will work. Thanks for your comments and help!!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I am sure you can find the appropriate length all thread and just double nut it if necessary. Just make sure you get the right thread count and size. Grade 8 should be sufficient.

You could even use red loc tite on the first nut located in the same position as the factory stud and let it sit overnight before install.

Last edited: