starter going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbdrumr

Reaction score
My Wife's '97 Expy (4.6l) is having intermittent starter problems
it won't fully engage and gets that awful grinding sound we all love to hear
I had a look at the starter and checked the connections to see how difficult it was to remove
then she said afterword, while she was driving it, the battery light came on at the guage display
I checked the battery and found massive corrosion at the terminals so I cleaned them
is it possible to re-set the light on the dash so it will go out?
what kind of problems could I have caused by moving the wires to the starter?
oh s**t
what's next
thanks all

croatone

Reaction score
Your starter might be ok. When a starter doesent get enough juice it cant throw the gear towards the flywheel. Thats why you heard the grinding sound. Hopefully the grinding didnt damage the flywheel.

XLTman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 expedition has that same nasty grinding noise but i am not sure if its a faulty starter or chipped teeth on the flyweel

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my starter replaced recently.
Now I hear grinding when i go to start the car. Then I wiggle the automatic transmission lever to make sure that it is in park. Once I do that it usually starts right up after that. Do you experience something like that?

bowatmyfeet

Reaction score
flywheel or not?

I have the same grinding noise when I start my 2003 exp. 5.4L . I replaced the starter and have the same problem. I've taken it to 4 places and each place says the flywheel isn't missing any teeth but it's a little worn and they wouldn't recommend replacing it. What is wrong with my girl?