Starter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry12

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expy EL with 16K purchased new from Ford. About 8K miles ago when starting the truck the starter grinds. It sounds just like the Bendix spring is going bad. The problem occurs off and on so you never know when it will happen. I took it back to the purchasing dealer and he kept it for a couple of days but could not get the problem to act up. When I picked up the truck the dealer said to bring it back when it happens again. Since it is a hit and miss problem what should I do? I'm don't want to pull the starter to check the flywheel teeth and starter in fear that the dealer will say I messed it up and not cover it under warranty. I don't want to get out of warranty (2016). I'm thinking next time this happens I will just keep the key forward and let the starter grind itself bad. Any thoughts? Thanks, Harry

OP
OP
H

Harry12

Reaction score
I thought I would post today in the 2007-present section as yesterday's post was in the general discussion section in case someone with a similar situation did not see it in the other location. My intention certainly was not to bore you with the same question in 2 places.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understand that But all post's appear so all can read and you normally will have responses from the same members so it saves you from jumping from thread to thread

Or maybe being it a starter issue and that is electrical you may want to post it in that section tomorrow.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understand that But all post's appear so all can read and you normally will have responses from the same members so it saves you from jumping from thread to thread

Or maybe being it a starter issue and that is electrical you may want to post it in that section tomorrow.

How's the weather up there on that soapbox? Not everyone has as much free time as you to read every last post on here.

OP, I know exactly your frustration. I would take it in and have them document the complaint on the work order, don't leave with one that says they can't find the issue but leave with one that says they acknowledge the issue and want you to keep track of it.

Also try and video tape any time it does it, maybe just use your cell phone cam to record starts and send them a video when the problem occurs. As far as damage that's on them.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to the post in general and reques it be deleted...one of us (moderators) will delete it when it pops up again in our feed