Starter Motor Average Life Span???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is really good to know because those are the two things I was worried about but it’s only got 190,000

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
250k on my 03 and original as far as I know with rather thorough maintenance records. Now the u joint on the front drive shaft is another story. It bit the dust yesterday, fortunately didn't cause any other damage, failed just enough to make a good racket but the drive shaft is still attached by the input side of the transfer case. Aside from a brake caliper sticking it's the only serious failure I've had in almost 50k miles. It's been easily one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned and the highest mileage of them all.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could tell you right now exactly why your caliper is sticking. You just need to replace the rubber hose coming out of the caliper that is going to the metal line. When you let off the brake the line pinches shut. It becomes like a one way valve and closes once the line gets really old from the brake fluid eating through the rubber over the years.

spepin

Reaction score
wondering when most of you 5.4 owners replaced your original oem starter motor from ford.
I also have an '03 with 265,000+ on it and still no issues. The only real shop time this thing has ever seen was a trans rebuild at around 135,000 (my fault -- fried it reversing up an incline with a trailer) and new head gaskets (oil leak) at around 155,000. I always run Mobil-1, so when they cracked it open, the inside was as clean as the day it was built. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

spepin

Reaction score
I could tell you right now exactly why your caliper is sticking. You just need to replace the rubber hose coming out of the caliper that is going to the metal line.
I had a sticking caliper once on my '03. It was the quad seal that was just hard and had no spring to it (the quad seal not only seals the piston, but also helps retract it when you let off the pedal). New quad seals on all the pistons and no problems since. It's an easy DIY job if you're then able to bleed the brakes yourself (also a good time for a fluid flush).

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have an '03 with 265,000+ on it and still no issues. The only real shop time this thing has ever seen was a trans rebuild at around 135,000 (my fault -- fried it reversing up an incline with a trailer) and new head gaskets (oil leak) at around 155,000. I always run Mobil-1, so when they cracked it open, the inside was as clean as the day it was built. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
Head gasket or valve cover gasket?

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Head gaskets. One was leaking oil into the valley. Never had a valve cover leak.
I got my truck around 140,000 it’s at 194,000 now I’ve had it 6 years love it. I was upset though when I got it found out the guy never fixed the intake manifold, causing the head gasket to go so I had the heads done and while that was being done. I said let’s do the timing chain and guides since it’s open. She’s a great vehicle.