Starter Motor Average Life Span???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spepin

Reaction score
That’s fantastic I’m at 194,000 original trans, fuel pump and starter
I'm also on my original fuel pump, but I believe I've developed the notorious crack in the fuel tank up front where the vapor recovery line connects. I can't fill it up all the way or it will leak out. This seems to be a very common issue -- I wish somebody made a replacement fuel tank for these.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm also on my original fuel pump, but I believe I've developed the notorious crack in the fuel tank up front where the vapor recovery line connects. I can't fill it up all the way or it will leak out. This seems to be a very common issue -- I wish somebody made a replacement fuel tank for these.
I never heard of that problem. I just heard the fuel pump screw and cap can dry rot and crack and Leak fuel I had that problem easy fix. I never heard of the cracked fuel tank from 2003 to 2006.

spepin

Reaction score
I never heard of that problem. I just heard the fuel pump screw and cap can dry rot and crack and Leak fuel I had that problem easy fix. I never heard of the cracked fuel tank from 2003 to 2006.
When it's the vapor recovery fitting, it will leak at the very front of the tank. Where does it leak for the fuel pump cap? When I first noticed the issue (not just a drip or a bit when driving and sloshing, but it flows and the entire front of the tank is wet and leaves a puddle on the ground), I Googled it and saw tons of complaints about the same issue, and all were leaking from a crack at the vapor recovery line fitting. The problem is the original is long discontinued and absolutely nobody makes an aftermarket one. I'd either have to JBWeld it or trust a junkyard tank.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cap that screws on and locks the pump inside the tank, dry rotted and cracked. I’ll have to look up what you’re talking about.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
My '06 has 122,000 miles with the original starter. Had to remove it when replacing passenger side exhaust manifold. The top bolt is a huge pain in the butt. I didn't replace it when it was off because at the time, OEM starters weren't really available and I didn't want to go aftermarket. If replacing, it's probably worth the few extra minutes to pull the fender liner so you can maybe get a set of fingers in there to help, along with a helper with a light and guiding instructions...

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Eightiesrock80 I have 150,000 on my 04 and no issues with the starter. I have never had any hard-starting situations where I would have cranked it alot and got it hot. I think that is what wears them out faster. The only time I cranked it alot was after I replaced my timing and oil pump, and was priming the oil system. I cranked it with the crankshaft sensor unhooked until the oil pressure popped up. I heard replacing the starter isn't easy because one of the bolts is hard to access.
I remember your post about how you wired up a replaceable fuel relay but can you remind me how you did that. Do you have any photos? Its on my list for 2023 to replace that before it leaves me somewhere. Thanks.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Eightiesrock80 I have 150,000 on my 04 and no issues with the starter. I have never had any hard-starting situations where I would have cranked it alot and got it hot. I think that is what wears them out faster. The only time I cranked it alot was after I replaced my timing and oil pump, and was priming the oil system. I cranked it with the crankshaft sensor unhooked until the oil pressure popped up. I heard replacing the starter isn't easy because one of the bolts is hard to access.
I remember your post about how you wired up a replaceable fuel relay but can you remind me how you did that. Do you have any photos? Its on my list for 2023 to replace that before it leaves me somewhere. Thanks.

Everything in this video will set you up as if it was still factory relay

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never had to replace a starter.

'11 Expedition: 207k and counting
Ford Crown Vic: 240k+ (sold)
Mercury Mountaineer: 238k (sold)
Mazda 6: 229K (sold)
Chevy Caprice: 360k+ (sold)