Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a 2000 EB that I've been happy with for the most part. But there is one nagging intermittent problem. At least 1-3 times per week the starter (I think) will fail when I turn the ignition key. Instead of hearing the engine turn over, I get a loud grinding noise until I release the key. If you have every forgot that your car was already running and turned the key you heard a very loud grinding noise. Thats whats happing to me. Only my engine is NOT running. Some times I have to try starting it 2-3 times before it finally stops grinding and starts the engine as its supposed to.

The grinding sound is very loud, and if anyone is around, they will look over in surprise when they hear it. The dealer has refused to look at the problem becasue it never occurs when I take it in for regular service.

Is anyone else having this problem?

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bendix drive on the starter is probably sticking, causing the starter gear to make an insufficiently strong contact with the teeth on the flywheel. If this continues, you will chip or wear the teeth on the flywheel, which will ultimately make starting the engine a (pun intended) hit-or miss proposition. Having a root canal without anesthesia is a more pleasant and less expensive proposition than replacing the flywheel.

PS: Ensure that you have a good battery, as a weak battery can cause or aggravate this condition. If the battery is factory, not a bad time to replace it. Assuming the battery is good and the problem still exists, replace the starter.

Last edited:

Sirwilliam1229

Reaction score
Starter Noise 2003 ED

I have the same problem. It sound like the starter is not fully engaging, and makes a loud eeeeegh noise. I am lost on what the problem might be? Will someone throm me a life raft?

Publius

Reaction score
My 2006 Expedition has the same problem, at least the same symptoms.

Periodically it would make the "your engine is already running" screech when I tried to start it. I figured that it was a bad starter so I got another re-manufactured starter from Autozone. At first it was fine but is now back to this problem a few times a week. Typically turning the key off then trying again works. Obviously I am hoping that the flywheel teeth are not damaged.

This is a 10 year old truck... is there much of a chance that I could just have a corroded/substandard electrical connection somewhere that results in the solenoid not getting enough juice to push out and engage the flywheel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum

Go back and look at the post before yours and you will see when it was posted APRIL 2011 This is an old thread and has been inactive until now although its a good question. FYI in the future when you see old threads it would be better for you to start a new thread.

Now to answer you.

I would pull the starter and have a helper turn the crankshaft by hand while you look at the teeth on the flywheel. You may find some bad or missing teeth. That's the worst part If all looks ok the look at the gear on the starter and see how worn it may be.
Then replace the bad/damaged or worn out part.

Based on the fact that you put a rebuilt starter in the expy. I would say you have damage on the flywheel.