Steering column and ignition swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NFriesen

Reaction score
Hi I recently purchased a 2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition, i got it really cheap because someone had drilled out the ignition and tried to hotwire it after losing the last key. They also broke the shift lever and mechanism.

I found a complete used steering column with ignition switch and keys from the local wrecker. Does anyone know what i am in for with the chipped key, can a locksmith reprogram the ecm to work with the different ignition and key?
Would it be simpler to get the ecm from the expedition my replacement used steering column and ignition came from or would that mess with the rest of the vehicles electronics?

Any help will br greatly appreciated, i would prefer not to have to rent a car hauler and take it to the ford dealer in the next town if possible.

David E

Reaction score
Hi there.
The ECM does go hand in hand with the coded key that is true. But In Theory if you get the key reader ring and pass it to the new(used) part you should be alright. (Might not even be necessary toive ring) You can reprogram new keys through ForScan.
All that said it all depends if he damaged the ring while drilling the lock. You can also rekey the new lock to work with the original car key. New car key can be cut according to the VIN number. You can always ask for a locksmith to give you a metal key cut to vin#. That should run around $100 if they are honest and would match all the locks in the car.(little bit of work there I must say) Then get your own key+remote unit from eBay or other online source.
Good luck.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The previous owner had to be a piece of work....
If you have a laptop, download the free ForScan program from https://forscan.org/download.html
You can program any key to the PCM with ForScan. There are videos and instructions available online and from the ForScan forum.
But your door key lock will still need the old key unless you get the door lock cylinder from the donor vehicle too. If the current key cylinder will rotate (like there is a key in it...), you just turn it to the ON position and stick a needle in the release hole at the bottom and it will pop out. How bad is the column damaged ? Is it just the shift lever joint that's broke? They sell that piece online. They sell Motorcraft replacement lock cylinders that you set to your original ignition key (so the door lock matches...) for $30 at Rock Auto. You may be going about the fix wrong if you're looking at replacing the whole steering column.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...1411119,ignition,ignition+lock+cylinder,10041

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...119,steering,steering+column+repair+kit,16500

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NFriesen

Reaction score
Thank you i did not know about forscan, and having keys cut from the vin number so that i can use my door locks sounds like the way to go. I will look see if the key ring is damaged. I will keep you posted on my progress.

it was owned by a girl who lost her key then her ex-boyfriend

OP
OP
N

NFriesen

Reaction score
Then her ex-boyfriend decided to drill out the ignition and try to hotwire it even though she already had made an appt with ford to get new keys. Little bit of drama for you there