steering column squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

the eX squakes every now and then in the steering column and dash board...there is a little hole that we press on and it goes away for awhile.....any idea on what it is?

abbyzdad

Reaction score
where is the little hole you press on? does it squeek only when you turn the wheel or apply pressure to the pedals? is the squeek high pitch like metal to metal or a dull squeek like plastic?

brian

OP
OP
G

Originally posted by abbyzdad
where is the little hole you press on? does it squeek only when you turn the wheel or apply pressure to the pedals? is the squeek high pitch like metal to metal or a dull squeek like plastic?

brian
sounds like plastic rubbing could be and it squeaks when ever it doesnt matter if on the gas/brake which ever way the steering wheel is going it just squeaks...and the hole on to the bottom left of the steering wheel

:troll: that smiley thing is sweet

OP
OP
G

I have the same problem in my wife's 2000 Taurus SES and my recently acquired 1998 Epedition. Both of mine appear to have nothing to do with the brake or the gas pedals. We have had the Taurus for 22,000 and the Expedition for only 1,000. The noise sounds like plastic rubbing on or plastic on metal. It reminds me of a moaning sound. I have been unable to locate the problem on the Taurus. I have not looked into the Expedition yet. I also have not taken either to my local dealer. If it gets to the point where my wife or I can no longer tolerate the sound them both of these cars will be taken to the dealer.

1998 Eddie Bauer
All Stock, 5.4 V8
Red/Tan
111,000 Miles