stereo upgrade- what to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fatboy, there are several different kinds of sirius modules to choose from. A few install behind the dash or wherever you want to hide it. You dont need a external control box. That why the units that say sirius compatible mean they control the whole deal on the deck itself so it works as if the whoel system is integrated. Heres my unit.

nx501.jpg

Simply press the sirius/XM button and your off, thats all you see.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy005

Reaction score
What did you end up doing?

I still haven't decided. I looked at the ones Crutchfield says will fit, and I think i am going to go with a digital media receiver, with no cd player. Sucks, because it looks like I can't stream Pandora via Bluetooth from my iPhone 4. Cable only. I am hoping to use the iPhone for gps as well, with a windshield mount, but I'd hoped to avoid a cable. don't want it in the way, and my phone is always charged since I have a charger at home and on my desk at work.

But since my need for a new stereo and my daughter's birthday arose at the same time, I decided I can rock the center console 6 disc magazine for another week or 2.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still haven't decided. I looked at the ones Crutchfield says will fit, and I think i am going to go with a digital media receiver, with no cd player. Sucks, because it looks like I can't stream Pandora via Bluetooth from my iPhone 4. Cable only. I am hoping to use the iPhone for gps as well, with a windshield mount, but I'd hoped to avoid a cable. don't want it in the way, and my phone is always charged since I have a charger at home and on my desk at work.

But since my need for a new stereo and my daughter's birthday arose at the same time, I decided I can rock the center console 6 disc magazine for another week or 2.

I just bought the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH and love it. It does have Pandora streaming and full Iphone integration. The screen is supposed to be able to control you Iphone, Itunes, Pandora etc. This unit does it all. CD DVD SD card back up camera aux inputs etc. Many EQ options, color options remote control. It does it all.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy005

Reaction score
See here's the thing. Are our stock units double or single DIN? I assume double, two sets of holes. If I go to Crutchfield and type in the 97 expy with the mach, the selections it gives me that will fit are only single DIN and the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH isn't included even though they sell it. They are only suggesting single DIN units with a conversion kit to fit it. That doesn't seem right. Am I missing something?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've never tried to fix up an old vehicle before. I didnt grow up wrenching on cars. Normally I would just go to a shop and pay to install it, but now that I have a family I figure learning to fix up an old expy would save some $ and make a nice hobby.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy005

Reaction score
and the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH is more than I really want to spend, do any of you know about the Pioneer SPH-DA02 AppRadio or the SPH-DA100 AppRadio2?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt