Can I Retain OEM GPS/SiriusXM Antenna with Aftermarket Head Unit? (2012 EL Ltd.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
I am preparing to replace the OEM Radio/Nav unit in my 2012 EL Limited with a Kenwood head unit. I would very much like to use the existing GPS/SiriusXM antenna rather than adding a magnetic SiriusXM antenna and having an exposed wire snaking into the vehicle. I see that there is a splitter in the factory wiring to separate the GPS and SiriusXM functions of the antenna for SOME Expeditions but have had no luck verifying that my 2012 has such a splitter. I guess we will not be able to find out until my installer tears into it unless someone here knows about that.

I'm hoping someone who has replaced the OEM radio with an aftermarket radio (with built in Nav) can chime in and let me know how you solved this problem. I *AM* aware that I will need to buy a separate aftermarket SiriusXM receiver that will require an antenna. This is what I am hoping to connect to the OEM antenna.

I am less concerned about the GPS, as I understand that the GPS antenna does not need to be mounted on the outside of the vehicle, and can even be mounted under the dash.

Grateful for any assistance! Thank you!!

sonyhome

Reaction score
For the GPS, i put the aftermarket antenna under the dash, when you remove the head unit on a Gen'1, you have access holes to the underside of the dash.
For XM radio I can't speak for it but I expect it to be a coaxial cable coming out of the head unit if it's external. IDK if there's standards for it or if you have to rig an adapter... You could also put that antenna under the dash assuming the windshield and plastics are not an obstacle to the reception.

Ozymandiaz

Reaction score
In case you haven't already done the swap and found your answer: I installed a Kenwood head unit with Maestro controller (to retain factory steering controls / integrations) from Crutchfield in my 2007 EL Eddie Bauer (6cd changer stereo version w/ overhead DVD in second row). With the Maestro box it retained the factory satellite radio tuner and antenna, but it comes through on the Kenwood head unit as "Satellite Radio" instead of "Sirius XM", due to the age of the vehicle / factory tuner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett