Stiff steering... what could it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue oval guy

Reaction score
please let us know what the cure was. I would tend to agree with LargeJoMama about lubing all the steering linkage components assuming fluid is of correct type, clean and full.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
please let us know what the cure was. I would tend to agree with LargeJoMama about lubing all the steering linkage components assuming fluid is of correct type, clean and full.
I will, I been lubing it once every day but I haven’t driven it in 2 days so I still don’t know if it has helped yet... but I will

TheEvilZX2

Reaction score
I replaced the steering shaft on my Expo, back when my mom still owned it. The u joint was binding every bad and would almost stop you from turning the steering wheel at some points.

A little pricey but thankfully paid employee price from Ford (thanks to friends). The job was quite simple IIRC. Steers beautifully now.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok so I soaked it in PB blaster for 5 days in a row and today I finally drove it... and that didn't help lol. It' still stiff and semi hard to steer it.

The fluid level & color are dead on still, the high pressure hose looks immaculate and there isn' any leaks anywhere....yet.

Underdog66

Reaction score
I had this same binding issue when I first bought my 2005 Expy. I sprayed the knuckles on the steering shaft daily with P'Blaster until I moved smoothly. The issue I have now is that it 'wanders' while driving down the road. I took it to my local trusted mechanic who said I needed some front end work, namely ball joints, control arm and tie rod ends. His work did help a little and corrected some other issues but the truck still wanders, especially on icy/snow covered roads. Its as if the tires are being 'grabbed' and redirected to follow the ice and/or snow.

My questions is this; could the steering shaft/linkage be too loose now and causing this wandering issue? The steering does have a little 'play' in it while driving.

Thanks

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Habbibie s issue sounds like power steering rack.

Sorry I never updated the thread with the cure, it was the rack & pinion, I pulled the boots on both sides and noticed it was bone dry on both sides, I greased them and clamped the boots back on... few days later the stiff steering slowly disappared, now it back to its normal state.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with you, whenever you can decrease CV shafts and reboot them, way better than the cheap Asian replacement's. Play in the steering usually doesn't cause wander, its correcting for it driving with a few beers or Jack Daniels that does that! But we never condone that here. Wink, Wink!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well's theirs spell check and typing without my glasses, meant to say re grease.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
Good thought, I check tomorrow morning, thanks bud.

Also I lubed all 3 steering column u-joints 2 under the hood & 1 under the dash again but I haven' driven it since so I'll reupdate once a test drive is conducted.

How are you lubing these u-joints? I don't see any zerk fittings. Are you guys just hitting them with some liquid wrench or something?