Stiffer/Beefier Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmzsuzuki89

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition XLT and am in need of a more heavy duty suspension. The back is sagging quite a bit due to my new audio setup, which still isn't finished. So I'm wandering what would be the most effective and economical way of fixing this. I believe only the back needs attention, I'll have to see for sure when it's finished. I have been told that helper springs would p?robably be the cheapest and easiest way to go, but figures I'd ask for advise on here.

This new suspension will have to support a ton of extra weight (give or take) in the back and middle. Most of the weight is in the back though. Let me know if more detailed info is needed.

Thanks for any help and advice.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what about just a leveling kit? not sure how much weight you are fillin the back with but a leveling kit might do the trick.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can use air shocks or they make spacers for the rear in 1, 2,&3 inch specs see what you need and go from their

OP
OP
rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what about just a leveling kit? not sure how much weight you are fillin the back with but a leveling kit might do the trick.

Maybe I'll look into that if it'll work...And it's right around 2,000lbs, maybe a lil more but not much I don't think.

Thanks for the link.

you can use air shocks or they make spacers for the rear in 1, 2,&3 inch specs see what you need and go from their

I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i see two problems here
1. using an airshock is just masking the problem and puts stress on the shock mounts.
2.leveling spacers/spacers might get you level ,but your still going to have ride and control problems from the extra weight.
go with a new set of coil springs (higher weight rating) and heavy duty shocks
remember shocks are not for carrying weight

OP
OP
rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i see two problems here
1. using an airshock is just masking the problem and puts stress on the shock mounts.
2.leveling spacers/spacers might get you level ,but your still going to have ride and control problems from the extra weight.
go with a new set of coil springs (higher weight rating) and heavy duty shocks
remember shocks are not for carrying weight

That is another idea to look into, hopefully it's not too much though lol. Would doing helper springs accomplish the same goal as this would?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I'll look into that if it'll work...And it's right around 2,000lbs, maybe a lil more but not much I don't think.

Thanks for the link.

I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

FYI the max payload for the 03 is 1614 pounds so you're looking for trouble by having that much weight being carried all the time. I agree with just4fun in that you need to get some heavy duty shocks and springs with a higher spring rate to be able to properly carry that load.

OP
OP
rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI the max payload for the 03 is 1614 pounds so you're looking for trouble by having that much weight being carried all the time. I agree with just4fun in that you need to get some heavy duty shocks and springs with a higher spring rate to be able to properly carry that load.

Ya, I'm gonna look into something for it. Gonna talk to my mechanic about it here pretty soon.

And ya, when I saw it sagging I was like "O shit" lol...Although I shouldn't be that much over the weight. If I have 2,000lbs give or take of audio in there, and the max is 1,614lbs, I should only be maybe a couple hundred over since both the second and third row seats are out. And I know they are relatively heavy from lifting them into the attic lol.

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you may want to consider dropping the front. even with beefing up the rear, its still gonna sit lower so why not compensate with drop springs up front AFTER you fix the rear. Have you considered air bags for the rear? I know I have seen them on F250s to help with towing and heavy loads, just not sure what they are rated for. also the independent rear suspension is a limitation as compared to solid axle. Bottom line...this may not be a cheap fix.