stoped running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy

Reaction score
I was waiting for train to go by and it acted like it was going to die so I turned it off. Would not start again. Pulled home put code tester on said p0401. Cleaned the sensor still won't start. Is there more than one and if so where? Put new fuel filter on and there was trash in it. Thought I would try that first. Need HELP!!!

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
need to know if there is fuel pressure first off. since the filter had trash in it, the pump could also be trash now

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There may be a blockage in the EGR pipe or something wrong with the EGR valve. I would start with checking over that system.

Though I agree with chair that you will want to test fuel pressure first. I think the truck should still run despite a bad EGR system, it will just run poorly. No fuel pressure means no running at all.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buddy

Reaction score
I will get husband to check fuel pressure. Will he have to have a certain tool for this. He can work on older cars without all the electronics that's on them these days. He may laugh at me for asking you this. You may too.

B

bedrck46

would be nice to know which year model and engine information

B

bedrck46

P0401 - EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

The EGR system is monitored during steady state driving conditions while the EGR is commanded on. The test fails when the signal from the DPF EGR sensor indicates that EGR flow is less than the desired minimum.

Vacuum supply
EGR valve stuck closed
EGR valve leaks vacuum
EGR flow path restricted
EGRVR circuit shorted to PWR
VREF open to D.P.F. EGR sensor
D.P.F. EGR sensor downstream hose off or plugged
EGRVR circuit open to PCM
VPWR open to EGRVR solenoid
D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses both off
D.P.F. EGR sensor hoses reversed
Damaged EGR orifice tube
Damaged EGRVR solenoid
Damaged PCM

B

bedrck46

Being its a 4.6 I would remove the throttle body and clean the exhaust ports that go through the throttle body. You would only need two gaskets and a can or two of throttle body cleaner There also are some good videos on youtube about cleaning the TB.

I would start with the easiest and least costly items first.
Look at the EGR Valve and the pipe that connects from the Valve to the exhaust manifold. You will see two rubber hoses that go from the pipe to the DPFE sensor Check to make sure those hoses are connected and intact If you need to replace the DPFE you can find them on e-bay cost around $45.00

As far as it not starting you may want to try some starter fluid being sprayed into the intake to see if that will cause the engine to fire up If it does then I would suspect problem with the fuel pressure .

If you need any electrical prints let me know and I will send you what you may need

OP
OP
B

buddy

Reaction score
He did check the sensor hoses and they were clean. I just remembered that one of them was off and could not get it to fit snug when put pack on.

Yes, sprayed starter fluid. It starts it then dies after about a minute.

B

bedrck46

ok first check the fuel shut-off switch to see if it tripped and then reset it if needed. if you have a volt meter or test light check for voltage going into and coming out of the cut off switch

Last edited by a moderator: