Strange noise over 65 MPH.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 EB 4x4. What just started happening is when I get on the highway and hit 65-70 MPH, this strange noise comes from both driver and passenger side under the dash. It sounds like it is some sort of flap for an air intake from under the engine compartment into the truck. Kind of of where the window meets the dash.

The faster I go, the louder it gets and it sounds like some sort of vibration or flapping. Maybe some sort of vent into the truck? Just need to know where the heck to start looking.

Thanks!!

Brian

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there are any sort of air vents under the hood around the fire wall that open and close for fresh air intake into the cabin?

Thanks.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As most, lots of rust. Truck has low miles, around 86K. I have removed the running boards and replaced those sections. Also replaced the radiator support. Under the hood by the fire wall not so bad.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about the plastic covers that go over the windshield wiper arms? They go from side to side, be sure their screwed down tight, and clips are there. You might have to start poking around up in there, and see if anything else looks loose, or could be causing your flapping sound.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just outside poking around and saw both the body clips missing on that section of plastic you just mentioned hah.

Timing is everything.

Going to the auto store and picking up some in a few. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed the 2 new clips that were missing. One on each side of the plastic. Jumped on highway, hit 70 and the noise is still there. I stuck my arm out the window and I can sort of feel the plastic cover under the wipers humming. When I stopped I could pull up the corners of the plastic way too easy.

There are no more clips or screws that I can see.

Am I missing something? Maybe some 2 sided tape is in order.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well here's a dumb idea, if you suspect an item, remove it, take it for a ride. Those clips you installed won't cause the flapping as long as the screws that hold down the plastic are there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you even read what I wrote? The plastic section below the wipers was missing 2 clips which I installed. I did not see any screws or holes for screws on that section of plastic. If there are, i missed them. If I missed them maybe you can tell me where they are.

Sorry, right now I am not going to remove the entire cover.