stripped wheel stud - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I changed the rear shocks on my 08 4x4 on Saturday. I had the one side back together, wheel on and everything, when I realized I had assembled the shock wrong. So I started taking it back apart. One of the wheel studs stripped out on me! It actually stripped out in the hub behind the wheel! I had to drill the lug nut out to get the wheel off. So how should I fix this? How do I disassemble the hub to get to the studs? Do they sell oversize studs to fix the stripped hub issue? Help please! Thanks in advance....

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure about repairing the stud without replacing the whole hub, but I wouldn't worry too much about having only 5 lugs holding the wheel on.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replied on the other forum as well. Will copy and paste:

With all respect, I don't think my vehicle is very similar to the one in the video. Mine has a parking brake and other stuff behind the hub flange. I don't think the stud would come out the back that easily. And also, the stud on mine actually turned in the hub itself, so that means the hub hole is likely enlarged beyond the point of engaging the new stud.

I appreciate the responses tho....

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my mechanic was able to replace just the stud. Guess the hub was still good.