Struts and Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2011 XLT with only 23000 miles. After going thru (2) sets of factory struts in which both sets leaked out most of their oil in less than 10000 miles, Originals leaking badly after 5000 miles, replacement warranty set leaking badly after 15000 miles, I finally got her taken care of.

All new Bilstein struts along with Cooper Discoverer AT3s. WOW !!!! what a difference. Truck rides fantastic !! As far as I am concerned it rides the way it should have from the factory. Firmed it up, but not harsh at all. Love the Coopers. They put 40 LBS of air in at installation and they still ride great. Could not be happier !!

Feedback for anyone seeking this type of info for their own Expedition.

carlos08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good decision on getting Bilstein's. How's ride quality and noise of the AT3s on pavement?

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good decision on getting Bilstein's. How's ride quality and noise of the AT3s on pavement?

So far great. I haven't had it on the interstate yet but around town they ride great with really no road noise.

After having (2) factory sets of struts go bad in less than 25K, I believe there are far more bad struts out there than people notice. A lot of people will not notice the difference in ride quality, and without getting under the truck or removing the wheels, you would never know they are leaking. Springs and seats on a couple were soaked with oil, yet no oil under truck.

Check your struts.

Edmaude

Reaction score
I changed my stock units out to Bilsteins around 85k. I now have 185k on the truck and they still ride great.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far great. I haven't had it on the interstate yet but around town they ride great with really no road noise.

After having (2) factory sets of struts go bad in less than 25K, I believe there are far more bad struts out there than people notice. A lot of people will not notice the difference in ride quality, and without getting under the truck or removing the wheels, you would never know they are leaking. Springs and seats on a couple were soaked with oil, yet no oil under truck.

Check your struts.

I purchased a new 2015 Expedition 4x4 Limited (never driven off road or wrecked). At 5,000 miles, the right front coil over shock began leaking and was replaced under warranty. It took the Ford dealership two weeks to get the part.

The shocks seem to be a very weak point on the Expedition.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know. I need to do mine, and am leaning toward replacing JUST the shock, not the spring...

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow Up - Have now had the truck up to highway speeds. If there is any road noise, it is very little. Can't really tell much difference over the OEM tires.