• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a moped

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Take the bus

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beardskii

Reaction score
If this was a questions concerning jeeps to Expy's I could write you scrolls of Cons to pro's. This is my First Expy, it's disheartening to hear my '00 4.6 isn't worth a plugged nickel but then again I haven't experienced a 5.4. I just can't imagine the difference.

The only thing I can really nit pick about is the amount of noise on the highway, although my hancook tires may be the cause of the excess noise, I mean they are big but still fit the stock rims so initially I couldn't see the noise being an issue.

Overall I'm satisfied, luckily I worked for FEDUP delivering for years so I'm used to manuevering larger vehicles but it was a world of difference turing on 40 mph from a jeep to a Expy. However the interior comfort is unmatched in the Expy compared to the jeep.

/rant

thatguy

Reaction score
Its not the engine in first gen 4.6l expeditions that is worthless. Its the transmission. The 5.4l expeditions come with a 4r100 (first gen) and the 4.6l is backed by the 4r70w which should never have found its way into a full sized truck platform....... just like the 4l60e should never have found its way nto a Suburban.

Beardskii

Reaction score
Its not the engine in first gen 4.6l expeditions that is worthless. Its the transmission. The 5.4l expeditions come with a 4r100 (first gen) and the 4.6l is backed by the 4r70w which should never have found its way into a full sized truck platform....... just like the 4l60e should never have found its way nto a Suburban.

Wonder if I could put a 4r100 into the 4.6 when needed.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One suggestion if you did want to go back to Chevy is get an aftermarket Bluetooth mp3 player for it. I've got it in my cars and it's so nice not having to connect an aux cable or switch cds. It also has a usb port for an ipod or thumb drive which is nice if you don't want to pull the phone out of your pocket.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buying a 5.4l expedition is about the same as a 2500 suburban..... a1500 suburban couldn't come close to a 5.4l Expedition....... that being said.... I would not give a plugged nickle for a 4.6l expedition atleast not in the first gens...... had 2 of them and my 91 2500 suburban was the better rig. Fast forward to now I have a 2001 2500 suburban and a 99 expedition eddie bauer to replace the wife's 99 navigator and the expededition is the better rig albiet more difficult to work on.

In what respect and what years are you talking about? The 5.3 makes more power than the 5.4 and it does it with ohv which is easier to work on and more space efficient.

Last edited:

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I don't agree with that at all. They are both decent transmissions. The 4l60e has come a long way from the 700r4(even that has a lot of improvements from previous years). Yes they still have made further improvements and there is the 4l80e but the 4l60e was a good choice or there would be more people complaining about them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Perseogromblin