Sulphur smell from A/C?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, last Thursday, about halfway home from work, I got a strong sulphur (rotten eggs) smell from my A/C ducts. I figured it was something I was driving through, until I stopped at a local store and the air outside was fine. The smell continued when I got back in the truck and headed home. I was away on a trip all weekend and my truck sat at the local Enterprise Rent a Car. When I picked it up this morning, I had to jump it (Have had to do that a time or two over the past few weeks, figure I need to replace the battery) After running the A/C for about 5-10 mnutes, the smell is back. Does anyone have any ideas? I have never had this happen before.

Like I said, I have been having battery issues as well and did not know if the two may be related in some weird way, but I do not get the smell from the engine compartment, just fromt he vents and it seems to be only when the A/C is on...

All thoughts are defintiely welcome. Even yours, Panda. LOL

OP
OP
B

BigDaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disregard. I took a closer look at the battery. The negative terminal had some movement to it. Replaced the battery with a new Duralast Gold and the smell is gone.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just a fyi a battery can smell like rotten eggs i work on warehouse batteries everyday now. when a cell goes bad it will smell like rotten eggs. sometime people bring the equipment back to me and they say it smells like rotten eggs under a heavy load and when you stop the equipment/ turn off the truck the smell rapidly vanishes. it only happens when under heavt load like when your ac is on. just a tid bit of info i have learned working this last month at a new job servicing batteries 24v and 36v mainly