Surging under acceleration and check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jawiv

Reaction score
Hey guys, alright i have a 2007 expedition with the 5.4. Its got about 70000 miles and its is 2wd. Just got the oil changed but it seemed to be doing this before the oil was changed. I have been very kind to the car, in the maintenance area and have not had any problems before. I havent taken the car above 3000 to 3500 rpm for about 2 months as ive trying to get good gas milege with the high gas prices. Now here is the not so good part, one day merging onto the interstate a car was coming up quickly behind me so i had to gun it. I noticed that i did not have much power and even though the engine was reving high it seemed that the acceleration was sluggish and it would "surge" i guess you could say. I then looked down to see the engine light flashing at me for about 20 seconds after. Then it stopped and never flashed at me until i tried accelerating hard again around and the same thing happened. I turned the car on and off and everything runs fine until i get to about 3000 rpm. Sometimes the engine light doesnt flash at all and it just "surges" or buckles under acceleration. Ive gotten underneath and looked at the engine and everything seems to be fine. This problem seems to be getting worse (at least i think), do you thinks its the transmission or the engine? Very confused and thanks for the help.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Need to scan the trouble codes stored on your pcm. Many here have had them scanned at local auto parts stores free of charge.

Bitter jackel

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. blinking means a misfire. one or more of your cylinders is misfiring under hard acceleration and that also explains for worse then normal gas mileage. i just bought myself an obd II code reader and it will tell you right away which cylinder or you can stop at a napa or autozone and theyll usually check but its handy because you can always check and wipe the code to see if youve solved the problem. only cost me $85 at a primcess auto and its payed for its self multiple times over. i would start with changing the coil pack could be that simple. then change plugs and if that doesnt help then you have the dreaded plugs gonna blow which what happened to mine after changing the plugs. then i just used a rethread sleeve and mines been running great for 25,000 miles since!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on cel codes being diagnosed.
could very well be a misfire &/or a combination of other things under heavy acceleration.
mine would sputter at two separate rpm ranges, but run fun at other times. the tell-tale as you described was the cel and indicating which plug as suspect. sure enough when pulled was ready for a change and earlier than the big blue oval recommended duration.

get her fixed & post up a pic or two.

PanHandler.

2007EXPY

Reaction score
Same scenario; I rarely rev beyond 2-3K RPM for max fuel economy.
Started getting a bucks/clunk on highway, under acceleration at 60 -70 MPH at low REVS.
Mechanic changed a plug and was better for a while.
CEL flashing once again and throwing P300/ along with 3 associates cylinders.
Changed COPS myself and codes went away temporarily. I'm not sure if the codes went away due to me disconnecting the battery in the process of replacing these electronic parts, thereby resetting the codes. (Or if they were even bad in the first place, if COPS were bad the code would be consistent not intermittent or under specific circumstances.

Upon resetting code, the CEL only comes on when the engine is under strain/ uphill/ or I try to REV beyond 2k. It starts to ping and then the CEL flashes. (pre ignition?)
Under lighter acceleration it would stop flashing and eventually go off, but eventually remain on until reset.
Noted engine will not REV beyond 3000 RPM in neutral.
I understand from a dealer, if gone un-remedied the unburned fuel fowls the catalytic converters and if you fix one /without the other, a failed cat can throws off your OBC which in turn fouls your plugs again?

So I'm thinking I will have my mechanic replace the remains plugs and then check my CAT C.

My first experience with this code occurred when a coolant hose that runs over the top of the passenger bank failed, resulting in coolant leaking into the plug/coil crevices fouling the COPS.